2-21-20 USA Assessment and Homophobic Graffiti
Dear ESF Community,
This morning the Undergraduate Student Association issued a thoughtful assessment of the situation at Syracuse University and encouraged readers to seek accurate information and advocate for inclusion. I hope you will consider these recommendations. They can be found here.
In addition, I have promised to keep you informed regarding bias-related incidents on the hill. As such, we have confirmed via Syracuse University's website that the University is "actively investigating the discovery of homophobic graffiti in a restroom on the fourth floor of Day Hall." According to the web page, the report was made to DPS officers around midnight this morning. The web page indicates, "the Office of Student Living will be meeting with Day Hall residents to discuss the recent events, provide an opportunity to gather as a community, and consider how the residents can work together to put an end to this hateful behavior."
ESF students who would like to talk are invited to call ESF Counseling Services at 315-470-4716. Dr. Lizette Rivera, the new Director of Student Inclusion Initiatives (Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity) is also available to discuss this incident or any other concerns you may have. Dr. Rivera can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or in 445 Baker Lab. For staff and faculty, support is available through the Employee Assistance Program coordinated by Nan Clark (email@example.com, 315-470-6726).
I ask that as a campus community, we remain diligent and responsible to collectively reporting incidents of bias. Anonymous, anti-bias reporting can be done by clicking https://www.esf.edu/ide/bias.htm.
Recent ESF News
- SUNY ESF Trails Link Adirondack Towns and Resources
- ESF Named a 2020 Economic Champion
- Grad Student's Photo Included in Global Exhibit
- Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award
- Global Database Is Resource for Ecological Monitoring in the Arctic
- SUNY Chancellor Malatras Visits ESF
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2020 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Honors Veterans with Ceremony Nov. 11
- ESF Professor Serves as Director for Multi-state Cooperative
- Chancellor Malatras Outlines Comprehensive Spring Semester Plan
- Dr. Jerrold Belant Named IUCN Voting Member
- Joanie Mahoney Named Fifth ESF President
- NSF Grant Funds Research to Help Better Manage Water Resources
- Dr. Brian Leydet Named 40 Under Forty Honoree
- Documenting Decades of Insights: Galapagos Giant Tortoises Soon to be Published
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210