3-10-20 Racial bias incident in Centennial Hall
Dear ESF Community,
Today, an instance of bias targeting individuals based on race was found in Centennial Hall and has been posted to social media. Specifically, a flyer was mounted outside a resident's door indicating that the occupants were quarantined. No one is quarantined for any reason inside Centennial Hall or any other building on the ESF campus. Furthermore, should we need to quarantine a community member in the future, we would not use Centennial Hall for this purpose. ESF has pledged to do whatever we can to protect the safety and well-being of every member of our community. Currently, ESF University Police are investigating the incident.
The college has zero tolerance for incidents of bias, racism, and hate to ensure our entire campus community can live, study and work in an inclusive and safe environment. If you have questions or information about this incident, contact University Police at 315-470-6667.
Our long-term response to any incidence of bias and discrimination remains intact and progress updates are forthcoming. As a reminder, ESF's bias reporting system provides ESF students, staff, and faculty with an avenue to report incidents of bias, bigotry, or hate that occur on our campus or in off-campus settings that impact ESF. Access and report at https://www.esf.edu/ide/bias.htm.
Students who would like to talk are invited to call ESF Counseling Services at 315-470-4716. Dr. Lizette Rivera, the new Director of Student Inclusion Initiatives (Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity) is also available to discuss this incident or any other concerns you may have. Dr. Rivera can be reached at email@example.com or in 445 Baker Lab. For staff and faculty, support is available through the Employee Assistance Program coordinated by Nan Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org, 315-470-6726).
I ask that as a campus community, we remain diligent and responsible to collectively reporting incidents of bias. Anonymous, anti-bias reporting can be done by clicking https://www.esf.edu/ide/bias.htm.
Recent ESF News
- SUNY ESF Trails Link Adirondack Towns and Resources
- ESF Named a 2020 Economic Champion
- Grad Student's Photo Included in Global Exhibit
- Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award
- Global Database Is Resource for Ecological Monitoring in the Arctic
- SUNY Chancellor Malatras Visits ESF
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2020 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Honors Veterans with Ceremony Nov. 11
- ESF Professor Serves as Director for Multi-state Cooperative
- Chancellor Malatras Outlines Comprehensive Spring Semester Plan
- Dr. Jerrold Belant Named IUCN Voting Member
- Joanie Mahoney Named Fifth ESF President
- NSF Grant Funds Research to Help Better Manage Water Resources
- Dr. Brian Leydet Named 40 Under Forty Honoree
- Documenting Decades of Insights: Galapagos Giant Tortoises Soon to be Published
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210