SUNY ESF Cancels Intercollegiate Play for Fall 2020 Sports
Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has suspended fall 2020 intercollegiate athletics competition.
The following sports will not compete during the fall of 2020: men's and women's cross country, men's golf, and men's and women's soccer. These sports at ESF are expected to participate in the rescheduled HVIAC conference championships as well as the USCAA national championships in the spring. Additionally, competition has been suspended for men's and women's timbersports and bass fishing, but these teams may have limited training activities that adhere to all state and local health and safety guidelines.
No decisions have been made yet regarding spring 2021 athletics. All options will be thoroughly evaluated and a decision will be made as quickly as possible, informed by federal and state health and safety guidelines.
Athletics remains an important part of the experience for ESF students. ESF athletics administration and staff will continue to work together to seek creative ways to provide meaningful athletic opportunities for ESF students during the upcoming academic year.
"It is with a heavy heart that I share this news as the situation has been constantly evolving since March," said Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dan Ramin. "We had hoped to move forward with our fall sports season, but the perceived risks, consequences, and realities associated with outside competition proved too great given the continued presence of COVID-19 and ESF's firm commitment to the health and safety of our students. It is my sincere hope that the important student-athlete experience gained through direct competition can be realized during the spring 2021 semester."
Recent ESF News
- Graduate Student Named Indigenous Communities Fellow
- ESF Ranked No. 4 Green College by Princeton Review
- Celebrate National Forest Products Week
- Writing On Behalf of the Environment
- Reading the Scales
- ESF Student Leads Hometown to Climate Smart Community Certification
- ESF Students Dig into Community Service
- The Geography of Publishing in the Anthropocene
- Brew-gooders Raise More Than a Glass for Wildlife
- Sierra Club Puts ESF Among Nationís Top Cool Schools
- City Fit: NSF Grant Explores Evolution in Urban Areas
- Chittenango Ovate Amber Snails Released at Chittenango Falls State Park
- Landscape Architecture Students Activate ESF Quad
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210