SUNY ESF Cancels Intercollegiate Play for Fall 2020 Sports
Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has suspended fall 2020 intercollegiate athletics competition.
The following sports will not compete during the fall of 2020: men's and women's cross country, men's golf, and men's and women's soccer. These sports at ESF are expected to participate in the rescheduled HVIAC conference championships as well as the USCAA national championships in the spring. Additionally, competition has been suspended for men's and women's timbersports and bass fishing, but these teams may have limited training activities that adhere to all state and local health and safety guidelines.
No decisions have been made yet regarding spring 2021 athletics. All options will be thoroughly evaluated and a decision will be made as quickly as possible, informed by federal and state health and safety guidelines.
Athletics remains an important part of the experience for ESF students. ESF athletics administration and staff will continue to work together to seek creative ways to provide meaningful athletic opportunities for ESF students during the upcoming academic year.
"It is with a heavy heart that I share this news as the situation has been constantly evolving since March," said Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dan Ramin. "We had hoped to move forward with our fall sports season, but the perceived risks, consequences, and realities associated with outside competition proved too great given the continued presence of COVID-19 and ESF's firm commitment to the health and safety of our students. It is my sincere hope that the important student-athlete experience gained through direct competition can be realized during the spring 2021 semester."
Recent ESF News
- Transforming Adirondack Forests By Nature’s ‘Ecosystem Engineer’
- SUNY ESF Cancels Intercollegiate Play for Fall 2020 Sports
- ESF welcomes Katherine McCarthy to Leadership Team
- ESF Hosts Town Halls to Address Questions Regarding 2020-21 Academic Year
- Tondelaya George Named Director of ESF Open Academy
- COVID-19 and Air Quality: Another Perspective
- Class of 2020 Inductees to ESF Athletic Hall of Fame Announced
- Dr. Ruth Yanai Honored with Barrington Moore Memorial Award
- Is Water Quality in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210