Woodmen's Team Competes in Pioneer Competition
ESF women's team wins first place
The ESF Woodsmen's team competed April 9 in the First Inaugural Pioneer Woodsmen Competition April 9 at SUNY Alfred. The women's team took first-place honors.
The women's team earned 1,291 points, winning the team cross-cut, pulp toss, and triples splitting events. Team members scoring first-place finishes were Lauren Mitchell and Cassandra Pinkoski in the doubles water boil/fire build, Natalie Scheibel in fly casting, Alex von Bieberstein in single bucksaw and Lauren Mitchell in the stock saw event.
The women's team was awarded a new Tuatahi racing axe.
The Jack-and-Jill team took fourth in the competion, with 953 points. Jess Nicholas placed first in the stock saw event within this division and Matt Cornell placed first in fly casting.
The men's A team, finishing sixth overall with 988 points, placed third in team cross-cut, log roll and pulp toss. The men's B team placed seventh, with 909 points.
The ESF Woodsmen's team will compete April 29 and 30 at the 65thAnnual Spring Meet Competition and Stihl Collegiate Challenge, hosted this year at SUNY Cobleskill. The competition will draw teams from across the Northeast. Events will include the traditional sawing and chopping events as well as canoeing.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
- American Fisheries Society Honors Ringler
- ESF Hosts Largest-Ever Incoming International Class
- ESF Hosts Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210