Dr. Brian Leydet Named 40 Under Forty Honoree
Dr. Brian Leydet, assistant professor of epidemiology and disease ecology, is being honored for his leadership skills and dedication to the Central New York community.
40 Under Forty, presented by the Central New York Business Journal and M&T Bank, recognizes the contribution young professionals make to the community.
"This is a truly deserved honor," said Joseph L. Rufo, officer-in-charge at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. "Dr. Leydet consistently goes above and beyond to serve the needs of the College as well as the Central New York community. His knowledge and guidance have been instrumental in keeping the ESF community safe and on track during this challenging time."
Leydet maintains an internationally recognized research program focused on ticks and tick-borne diseases. He regularly serves as a regional expert in public-health issues regarding tick-borne diseases and more recently COVID-19.
Leydet's lab processes saliva samples from students at ESF and Syracuse University as part of the colleges' attempt to find and isolate carriers of the virus. He is also a sought-after expert on infectious disease by the media.
A founding board member of the CNY Lyme and tick-borne disease alliance, Leydet gives over a dozen community educational talks on ticks and associated diseases.
"The 2020 40 Under Forty exemplifies this type of leadership. They put in the work necessary, always going above and beyond to drive positive change here in our community," said Allen J. Naples, Central New York regional president M&T Bank, presenting sponsor of the award.
ESF College Foundation Board member Jane Nicholson is also a 40 Under Forty honoree. Nicholson is a senior planning associate with MRB Group with expertise in comprehensive planning and zoning, environmental and regulatory compliance, concept design, and grant writing.
She holds a master's degree in natural resources management from ESF and chairs the ESF Foundation fund development committee.
The awards will be presented in a virtual ceremony Nov. 4. Click here to watch the presentation.
Recent ESF News
- Trailhead Café Steps Up Sustainability Effort
- ESF in Top 5 of Sierra Magazine Cool Schools List
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- Dr. John Stella Named Vice President of Research
- Experts from ESF, SUNY Upstate Join Rep. Katko to Highlight Efforts to Combat Tick-borne Illness
- Malmsheimer Honored with Matt McArdle Excellence in Bioenergy Award
- Popular @SyracuseHistory Instagram Page Features Marshall Hall
- Great Lakes Piping Plovers Boosted by ESF Research
- Music from Their Ears
- Dr. Malika Carter Honored with Harriet Tubman Freedom Award
- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo Nominates, NYS Senate Confirms, ESF’s Newest Trustee, Oluwole “OJ” McFoy
- Biodiversity 'Hotspots' Imperiled along California’s Streams
- ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
- ESF Creates New Electric Vehicle Charging Hub in Syracuse
- ESF’s Bachelor’s in Forestry Ranked No. 1
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210