Joanie Mahoney Named Fifth ESF President
SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Presidents at Old Westbury, Upstate Medical, and SUNY ESF Campuses
Albany, NY - The State University of New York Board of Trustees today approved the appointments of Dr. Timothy E. Sams as SUNY Old Westbury President, Dr. Mantosh Dewan as Upstate Medical University President, and Joanie Mahoney as SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President.
The appointments were announced by SUNY Board of Trustees Chairman Merryl Tisch and SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras following the SUNY Board meeting.
Joanie Mahoney is the first woman to lead SUNY ESF. She joined the College in November 2018 as Chief Operating Officer. In this role, she has served on the senior leadership team where she has been instrumental in the Discovery Challenge process, expansion of ESF as an instrumental partner with government to address pressing issues like climate change and intrusion of invasive species in our waterways, and functions as point person on COVID-19 matters and preparedness.
Prior to ESF, Ms. Mahoney served as Onondaga County Executive for 11 years and oversaw all aspects of a county government, which served 460,000 residents. During her tenure as county executive, she earned national recognition for her environmentally friendly stewardship.
Before her elective office, Ms. Mahoney worked as an attorney both in private practice with the Harris Beach law firm and for five years as a criminal prosecutor in the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office.
Ms. Mahoney received her bachelor of science degree from Syracuse University's School of Management and her juris doctor from S.U.'s College of Law. Her appointment is effective immediately.
Recent ESF News
- Biodiversity 'Hotspots' Imperiled along Californiaís Streams
- ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
- ESF Creates New Electric Vehicle Charging Hub in Syracuse
- ESFís Bachelorís in Forestry Ranked No. 1
- ESF to Auction Presidential Residence
- ESF Researchers Receive GLRC Grant
- Tremont, Fedrizzi Receive Annual Feinstone Award
- ESF Faculty, Staff Receive Chancellorís Awards
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching Award
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Exemplary Researcher Award
- ESF Celebrates the Class of 2021
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210