Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award
Mark Teece, associate professor, Department of Chemistry was selected as the 2020 recipient of the ESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching.
Teece's nomination package contained several glowing student recommendations related to his creation and teaching of a new section for first-year students struggling with chemistry. He is known for using humor and relatable applications throughout his lectures to engage his students and help them understand the principles taught and find academic success.
Teece has also taken the time to mentor individual students and tutors with the SUNY Educational Opportunity Program and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) helping under-represented or economically disadvantaged students pass the challenging first-year chemistry course enabling them to continue their ESF journey.
His research interests include the biogeochemistry of marine and freshwater systems. In particular, he is intrigued by carbonate systems including coral reefs and freshwater microbialites. His lab uses chemical and geochemical methods to understand the complex relationships in aquatic systems.
Teece earned his Ph.D. in organic geochemistry in 1994 from the Organic Geochemistry Unit, at the University of Bristol, England.
The Foundation Award was established in 1999 to celebrate the accomplishments of ESF faculty who excel at the art of teaching. Recipients are selected by a committee of faculty peers that is organized by the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Foundation provides winners with a personalized framed citation and a cash award of $1,000. A plaque displayed in Bray Rotunda lists the names of all recipients. The award was presented virtually at a meeting of the ESF College Foundation Board of Directors on Nov. 13.
Recent ESF News
- Tap Into Maple Syrup at Heiberg Forest
- March Mammal Madness Takes to Twitter
- ESF Student Honored with Award for Student Excellence
- Vending Machines Part of the Plastic-Free Solution
- ESF Hires Project Director for NYS Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Class Crosses Continents to Prepare Consultants
- ESF Against the Stigma of Mental Illness Promotes Mental Health Awareness
- ESF Helps Give Westcott Reservoir Expanded Purpose
- Department Name Change Acknowledges 21st Century Environmental Needs
- ESF Celebrates Black History Month
- Winter Sports Suspended at SUNY ESF
- Do People’s Perceptions Shape Trust of Gene Editing in Agriculture and Food?
- ESF to Host Virtual Career and Internship Fair
- ESF Hosts Semester-Opening Virtual Family Sessions
- Professionals in Sustainability Webinar Series at ESF
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210