Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award
Mark Teece, associate professor, Department of Chemistry was selected as the 2020 recipient of the ESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching.
Teece's nomination package contained several glowing student recommendations related to his creation and teaching of a new section for first-year students struggling with chemistry. He is known for using humor and relatable applications throughout his lectures to engage his students and help them understand the principles taught and find academic success.
Teece has also taken the time to mentor individual students and tutors with the SUNY Educational Opportunity Program and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) helping under-represented or economically disadvantaged students pass the challenging first-year chemistry course enabling them to continue their ESF journey.
His research interests include the biogeochemistry of marine and freshwater systems. In particular, he is intrigued by carbonate systems including coral reefs and freshwater microbialites. His lab uses chemical and geochemical methods to understand the complex relationships in aquatic systems.
Teece earned his Ph.D. in organic geochemistry in 1994 from the Organic Geochemistry Unit, at the University of Bristol, England.
The Foundation Award was established in 1999 to celebrate the accomplishments of ESF faculty who excel at the art of teaching. Recipients are selected by a committee of faculty peers that is organized by the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Foundation provides winners with a personalized framed citation and a cash award of $1,000. A plaque displayed in Bray Rotunda lists the names of all recipients. The award was presented virtually at a meeting of the ESF College Foundation Board of Directors on Nov. 13.
Recent ESF News
- Biodiversity 'Hotspots' Imperiled along Californiaís Streams
- ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
- ESF Creates New Electric Vehicle Charging Hub in Syracuse
- ESFís Bachelorís in Forestry Ranked No. 1
- ESF to Auction Presidential Residence
- ESF Researchers Receive GLRC Grant
- Tremont, Fedrizzi Receive Annual Feinstone Award
- ESF Faculty, Staff Receive Chancellorís Awards
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching Award
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Exemplary Researcher Award
- ESF Celebrates the Class of 2021
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210