Matthew Millea Joins ESF as Executive Director for Strategic Initiatives
Matthew "Matt" Millea has joined the ESF community as the new Executive Director for Strategic Initiatives.
Millea is a 20-year veteran of state and local government and joins ESF following a three-year stint in the private sector working as the Albany Office Principal for the Syracuse-headquartered C&S Companies.
Prior to joining C&S, he served as New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's deputy director of state operations. He joined the Cuomo administration in 2014 after serving for four years as deputy county executive for physical services to then-County Executive and current ESF President Joanie Mahoney. While serving as deputy county executive, Millea managed the implementation of Onondaga County's nationally recognized and award winning Save the Rain combined sewer overflow mitigation program as well as a number of other priority capital projects within the county.
Millea played a key role in the master planning and environmental review effort that preceded the construction of one of Onondaga County's most recently constructed landmarks, the St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater on Onondaga Lake. In 2009, in his role as acting president of the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation, he managed the implementation and disbursement of $500 million in water infrastructure investments awarded to New York state from President Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). He is a veteran of four gubernatorial administrations beginning his career in state government working for Governor George Pataki on a number of environmental initiatives. Millea holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from Siena College and Masters in Public Administration from Columbia University.
In his position, Millea will report to President Mahoney and lead and manage a variety of major strategic initiatives and programs, including Discovery Program projects, helping to developing business plans for the College's remote campuses, and a number of others projects. He starts March 1.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Weather Alert: Dangerously Cold Wind
- Dr. Chang Geun Yoo Receives NSF CAREER Award
- New SUNY Chancellor John B. King Visits ESF
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Statewide Zero Waste Call for Projects
- Staff Spotlight: Tyler Dorholt
- Mighty Oak Monday: Alex Paonessa
- Dr. Fred Agyeman Earns Honorable Mention for SUNY Chancellorís Distinguished PhD Dissertation
- ESF Adds EV Truck to Its University Police Fleet
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks ESF Among Best Online Programs
- Tell an Inspiring Story to Help Move the Planet Forward
- Staff Spotlight: Jacob Gedetsis
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- ESF Welcomes New Students for Spring Semester
- Governor Hochul Announces Green Purchasing Communities Program
- ESF Joins Global Alliance, Pledging Commitment to Protect Nature
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210