Marshall Hall Site Work Ramps Up
With the arrival of better weather, contractors The Pike Company, Inc. will be starting the heavy excavation work associated with the Marshall hall renovation within the next two weeks.
This work will be taking place on the north and northwest sides of the building and will likely result in an increase in noise at the south of campus near Moon Library and around the Quad.
The work schedule calls to get a large percentage of that site work to be done before the start of the fall 2021 semester. "When the campus community is back to full numbers we will have the beneficial use of the newly positioned granite stairs between Moon Library and Marshall Hall," said Rex Giardine, assistant director of facilities planning, design and construction.
All the trees north of Marshall Hall and those south of Moon Library are marked in the bid documents for removal by the contractor. "Many of those trees would be adversely impacted by the extensive regrading, hardscape, ADA compliant ramps and necessary underground utility work," said Giardine. "Some have outgrown their location and would be impacting the building facade."
Most of the existing trees on the hillside east of Marshall will remain.
The tree planting list for the renovated Marshall site includes a carefully curated selection of trees chosen by the design team's landscape architect for their new locations. "We trust this coupled with other tree varieties around campus will benefit our landscape architecture and dendrology classes," noted Giardine.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNY’s 2021 Mascot Madness
- ESF Hosts Mini Maple Weekend at Heiberg Forest
- SUNY Announces Grand Opening of Vector Biocontainment Lab at Upstate Medical to Research Infectious Diseases
- Tap Into Maple Syrup at Heiberg Forest
- March Mammal Madness Takes to Twitter
- ESF Student Honored with Award for Student Excellence
- Vending Machines Part of the Plastic-Free Solution
- ESF Hires Project Director for NYS Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Class Crosses Continents to Prepare Consultants
- ESF Against the Stigma of Mental Illness Promotes Mental Health Awareness
- ESF Helps Give Westcott Reservoir Expanded Purpose
- Department Name Change Acknowledges 21st Century Environmental Needs
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210