ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
ESF President Joanie Mahoney spoke about academic research institutions advancing sustainability at the Global Council of Science and the Environment's (GCSE) Transatlantic Symposium June 9.
Participating remotely, Mahoney spoke during the closing session "What's Different Going Forward: Perspectives from Academic and Research Institution Leaders." The session allowed an opportunity for top research managers to share their vision of their organization's future and the long-term evolution of the research ecosystem and practices.
The panel addressed questions about lessons learned from the COVID pandemic, ways to continue to engage with local governments moving beyond the pandemic, how international activities might be managed moving forward, and key changes put in place during the pandemic to advance sustainability that will be retained.
Other panelists were Gabriela Pfeifle, the French University Presidents' Conference, and chairs the Sustainable Development Commission for the University of Toulouse Jean Jaurès; Olivier Dangles, deputy chief science officer at the Institute of Research for Sustainable Development; and Gil Latz, vice provost for global strategies and international affairs, The Ohio State University.
The three-day symposium offered a snapshot of initiatives led by French and American research and academic institutions to mitigate environmental impacts and advance sustainability. The COVID-19 pandemic has forced organizations to accelerate their agenda.
Dr. Valerie Luzadis, professor in ESF's Department of Environmental Science, serves as board chair for the GCSE.
Recent ESF News
- Biodiversity 'Hotspots' Imperiled along Californiaís Streams
- ESF President Mahoney Speaks at International Conference
- ESF Creates New Electric Vehicle Charging Hub in Syracuse
- ESFís Bachelorís in Forestry Ranked No. 1
- ESF to Auction Presidential Residence
- ESF Researchers Receive GLRC Grant
- Tremont, Fedrizzi Receive Annual Feinstone Award
- ESF Faculty, Staff Receive Chancellorís Awards
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching Award
- Dr. Chris Whipps Honored with Exemplary Researcher Award
- ESF Celebrates the Class of 2021
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210