Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Nicholas Pflug
Meet Dr. Nicholas Pflug! Dr. Nicholas Pflug is a new member of the ESF community, having joined the faculty as an assistant professor in the Department of Chemistry in September 2021.
After earning his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Iowa in 2017, Pflug did postdoctoral work in environmental chemistry at ETH Zurich in Switzerland, a federal institute focused on science and technology, from 2018 to 2021.
He is interested in understanding the way humans affect the natural world, with a focus on exploring the fate of organic chemicals in natural and engineered water systems. At ESF, the Pflug Lab uses a variety of research methods from environmental chemistry, natural products chemistry and organic synthesis to address the challenges of water contamination and its effects on human and ecosystem health. The research team also works to fill knowledge gaps in key biophysicochemical processes of organic compounds in water.
Pflug's team focuses on three areas: the aquatic fate of pollutants of emerging concern, such as livestock feed additives, in natural and engineered systems; photochemistry of chemical cues, such as pheromones, attractants and other chemical signals, of aquatic organisms; and aquatic photochemistry of natural toxins, such as phyto-, myco- and algal toxins. The research emphasizes kinetics, product identification, mechanistic studies, biological effects and occurrence studies.
After just a few weeks on campus, Pflug said the best aspects of ESF are" the wonderful people, the beautiful campus and the shared mission of the College: 'Improve your world!'"
Recent ESF News
- ESF Highlights Student Research on National GIS Day
- Dr. Theresa Selfa Appointed Environmental Studies Chair
- ESF Women’s Soccer Team Clinches National Championship
- ESF Cross Country Teams are National Champs
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Nicholas Pflug
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Joshua Drew
- ESF’s Mark Lichtenstein Honored Lifetime Achievement Award by National Recycling Coalition
- Dr. Samuel B. Mukasa Joins ESF as Executive Vice President and Provost
- ESF Senior Accepted to SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Faculty Spotlight – Dr. Cynthia J. Downs
- SUNY ESF Listed in Top 10 of Top 50 Green Colleges
- ESF to Induct 2021 Class into Athletic Hall of Fame
- Faculty Spotlight - Dr. Yaqi You
- SUNY ESF’s Dr. Mariann Johnston Named Society of American Foresters Fellow
- SUNY ESF Awarded Prestigious National Science Foundation Grant
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210