ESF Achieves Top Performer Status in Sustainable Campus Index
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) was once again recognized as a top performer in the annual Sustainable Campus Index by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). The Index identifies top-performing sustainable colleges and universities overall and in 17 impact areas as measured by the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS).
ESF earned high marks in a number of categories:
- No. 1 for its doctoral curriculum, which ranks colleges on courses, programs and learning outcomes in sustainability, living laboratory initiatives, immersive experiences, sustainability literacy, and faculty development.
- No. 2 for public engagement, which ranks colleges on community and inter-campus partnerships, continuing education, community service, public policy participation, and trademark licensing.
- No. 6 for water, which examines water use reduction and rainwater management.
- No. 7 for its doctoral program, which is ranked based on highest overall scores among doctoral institutions
"This recognition is a testament to our faculty's commitment to creating and delivering world-class curriculum, and our College's dedication to building a sustainable and resilient campus and world," said ESF President Joanie Mahoney. "Our results in the Sustainable Campus Index are an indication that we are achieving our mission to improve our world."
The College's State Center for Sustainable Materials Management was highlighted in the Index as an innovative and high-impact project. ESF and Syracuse University partnered to establish the New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management (SMM), which is funded by a five-year $5.75 million grant from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The center-the first of its kind in the country-is devoted to practices in waste reduction, reuse, recycling and composting.
AASHE's 2021 Sustainable Campus Index is available here.
AASHE empowers higher education administrators, faculty, staff, and students to be effective change agents and drivers of sustainability innovation. It is the most widely recognized framework in the world for publicly reporting comprehensive information related to a college or university's sustainability performance.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oak Monday: Manoon Pilosungnoen
- Alumni Spotlight: Jacob Darius, ’22
- Staff Spotlight: Jill Rahn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Anindita Paul
- SUNY ESF Summer Science Week at the MOST
- Alumni Spotlight: Hannah Pilkey, ’17 & ’21
- Mighty Oak Monday: Julia Niehoff
- SUNY ESF Congratulates Dean’s and President’s Lists for Spring 2022
- Alumni Spotlight: Wayne Schacher, ’71
- ESF Acquires Three Buses, Saving the College Substantially and Providing Much-Needed Transportation
- Mighty Oak Monday: Tatianna Moragne
- ESF's Corpse Flower Blooms
- Alumni Spotlight: Karina Lang, '22
- Mighty Oak Monday: Sarah Quadt
- 10th Annual Loon Race Celebrates Summer in the Adirondacks
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210