Dr. Neal Abrams Appointed Interim Director for ESF’s Open Academy
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), the most distinguished institution in the nation that focuses on the study of the environment, named Dr. Neal Abrams interim director of the ESF Open Academy.
"I am grateful Dr. Abrams agreed to take on this responsibility and have every confidence he will serve the college well," said Dr. Samuel Mukasa, executive vice president and provost.
Abrams, associate professor in the Department of Chemistry, assumed interim director duties of the Open Academy Jan. 13. ESF Open Academy represents an academic unit that encompasses the College's Summer Semester, academic year visiting student, professional, and public education programs, online educational programming, and ESF's Teaching and Learning Center.
Abrams, an inorganic chemist, has been with ESF since 2007. His research interests lie in the areas of materials and inorganic chemistry, encompassing areas of alternative energies such as energy storage, photovoltaics, and fuel cells.
He brings a wealth of experience to the Open Academy position, including online and professional education. His course Solar Energy Basics has garnered more than 65,000 enrollments since its 2019 launch.
Along with his interim duties, Abrams will teach the general chemistry labs this spring and continue his other departmental obligations. He also serves as secretary for Academic Governance and is active in professional service to the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Recent ESF News
- Staff Spotlight: Aaron Knight
- ESF Shares a Century of Knowledge about Wood
- ESF Partners with State Agencies to Promote Climate-Smart Farms and Forests
- SUNY ESF Ranked No. 1 for Sustainability Curriculum
- Alumni Profile: ESF Tramily (‘Trail-Family') Complete 2,200 Mile Trek through the Appalachian Trail
- Staff Spotlight: Melissa Vaughn
- Mighty Oak Monday: Emme Christie
- ESF Honors Newest Members of ESF Athletic Hall of Fame
- ESF’s Dr. Lemir Teron Named Richard P. Nathan Public Policy Fellow
- ESF's Dr. Benette Whitmore launches Funky Foodies, Inc. Podcast in Partnership with WCNY/PBS
- ESF, VA Celebrate 10 Years of Connecting Veterans to Nature
- Staff Spotlight: James Sitnik
- ESF Named a Best College by U.S. News and World Report
- Mighty Oak Monday: Maryam Saffari Aman
- Alumni Spotlight: Rachel Feeney
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210