Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF Work in sustainable energy and energy systems recognized7/23/2018SHARE:
Dr. Timothy Volk, senior research associate in ESF's Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management (FNRM), was named the College's Exemplary Researcher for 2018-19.
Volk is co-director of the SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. He has more than 20 years of experience working in the fields of forestry, agroforestry, short-rotation woody crops, bioenergy and phytoremediation in the northeastern United States and Africa.
Volk holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Guelph in natural resources management, a Master of Science from Cornell University in forest science and a Ph.D. from ESF in forest and natural resources management.
Volk is responsible for a series of research projects focused on the development of shrub willow biomass cropping systems as a feedstock for bioproducts and bioenergy, and the use of willow as an alternative cover for industrial waste sites. He is actively involved in research and development of sustainability assessments of bioenergy systems, life cycle assessments of willow biomass crops and woody biomass from forests, assessments of woody biomass availability from natural forests, economic modeling of short-rotation woody crops, living snow fences, regional woody biomass resource supplies, and harvesting systems for short-rotation woody crops.
Volk chaired the ad hoc committee at ESF that developed and implemented the curriculum for a minor in renewable energy systems and a major in sustainable energy management. He currently teaches courses on energy systems and biomass energy.
The Exemplary Researcher Award is a college-level award recognizing successful, currently active researchers with exemplary research activity, publication record and a graduate/undergraduate student mentorship program.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210