Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF Work in sustainable energy and energy systems recognized7/23/2018SHARE:
Dr. Timothy Volk, senior research associate in ESF's Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management (FNRM), was named the College's Exemplary Researcher for 2018-19.
Volk is co-director of the SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. He has more than 20 years of experience working in the fields of forestry, agroforestry, short-rotation woody crops, bioenergy and phytoremediation in the northeastern United States and Africa.
Volk holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Guelph in natural resources management, a Master of Science from Cornell University in forest science and a Ph.D. from ESF in forest and natural resources management.
Volk is responsible for a series of research projects focused on the development of shrub willow biomass cropping systems as a feedstock for bioproducts and bioenergy, and the use of willow as an alternative cover for industrial waste sites. He is actively involved in research and development of sustainability assessments of bioenergy systems, life cycle assessments of willow biomass crops and woody biomass from forests, assessments of woody biomass availability from natural forests, economic modeling of short-rotation woody crops, living snow fences, regional woody biomass resource supplies, and harvesting systems for short-rotation woody crops.
Volk chaired the ad hoc committee at ESF that developed and implemented the curriculum for a minor in renewable energy systems and a major in sustainable energy management. He currently teaches courses on energy systems and biomass energy.
The Exemplary Researcher Award is a college-level award recognizing successful, currently active researchers with exemplary research activity, publication record and a graduate/undergraduate student mentorship program.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210