ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program Aquatic and fisheries science major sets sail in Lesser Antilles12/26/2018SHARE:
This past fall, Maria Alfaro, a senior at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), sailed on an ocean research vessel to study human impact on Caribbean coral reef ecosystems.
Through SEA Semester: Caribbean Reef Expedition, a study-abroad program offered by Sea Education Association (SEA) Alfara, together with other students with a variety of academic interests, conducted guided field research at sea, sailing through the Lesser Antilles to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.
Alfaro, an aquatic and fisheries science major from Ithaca, New York, boarded the SSV Corwith Cramer, SEA's state-of-the-art, 134-foot brigantine, in Grenada, Nov. 27. The ship served as home, classroom and laboratory for the four-week voyage. The students become full working members of the ship's crew, sharing responsibilities for standing watch, processing oceanographic samples, navigating by the stars and participating in round-the-clock operations.
Alfaro arrived in early October at SEA Semester's campus in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, for six weeks of on-shore preparatory coursework. With full access to SEA faculty, guest lecturers and other scientific institutions within the village of Woods Hole, Alfaro and her fellow students designed original research projects to be completed at sea. The shore component continued with two additional weeks at St. George's University in Grenada.
Recent ESF News
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
- Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Student Organizations, Leaders Recognized
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210