ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program Aquatic and fisheries science major sets sail in Lesser Antilles12/26/2018SHARE:
This past fall, Maria Alfaro, a senior at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), sailed on an ocean research vessel to study human impact on Caribbean coral reef ecosystems.
Through SEA Semester: Caribbean Reef Expedition, a study-abroad program offered by Sea Education Association (SEA) Alfara, together with other students with a variety of academic interests, conducted guided field research at sea, sailing through the Lesser Antilles to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.
Alfaro, an aquatic and fisheries science major from Ithaca, New York, boarded the SSV Corwith Cramer, SEA's state-of-the-art, 134-foot brigantine, in Grenada, Nov. 27. The ship served as home, classroom and laboratory for the four-week voyage. The students become full working members of the ship's crew, sharing responsibilities for standing watch, processing oceanographic samples, navigating by the stars and participating in round-the-clock operations.
Alfaro arrived in early October at SEA Semester's campus in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, for six weeks of on-shore preparatory coursework. With full access to SEA faculty, guest lecturers and other scientific institutions within the village of Woods Hole, Alfaro and her fellow students designed original research projects to be completed at sea. The shore component continued with two additional weeks at St. George's University in Grenada.
Recent ESF News
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
- Dr. Kimmerer Elected Member of American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- ESF Launches Master of Engineering Degree
- Paper Engineering Students Give Office Paper Second Life
- Mighty Oaks Track Team Returns to the Track
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Recycling Website on Earth Day
- City and County Mark April 22 as SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210