ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair GLRC part of “Ask the Experts’8/19/2019SHARE:
ESF scientists will participate in Ask the Experts: Water Technology and Water Quality Days at the New York State Fair, Aug. 27 and 28.
Ask the Experts offers fairgoers the opportunity to ask questions and see demonstrations of underwater and aerial drones used for Great Lakes' aquatic research by personnel with the Great Lakes Research Consortium (GLRC), SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and New York Sea Grant.
Ask the Experts: Water Technology Day is Aug. 27. GLRC and New York Sea Grant personnel will demonstrate remotely-operated aquatic research vehicles in the state fair pond, located at the far west end of the fairgrounds, along with aerial drones used for Great Lakes' aquatic research. A GLRC in-water remote data-sensing buoy will be in the pond transmitting data to the nearby dry land-marina exhibit with boats representing more than 100 years of recreational boating in New York state and across 20th-century America.
Dr. Gregory Boyer of ESF's Department of Chemistry is the director of the GLRC which is housed at ESF. The GLRC is an organization of 18 colleges and universities with nine affiliate campuses in Ontario dedicated to collaborative research and education on the Great Lakes.
Ask the Experts: Water Quality Day is Aug. 28. GLRC researchers, ESF faculty and students will answer questions about water-quality issues and concerns, and water data collected by the GLRC data-sensing buoy in the state fair pond, representing similar buoys deployed throughout the Great Lakes region.
ESF will also be at the fair Aug. 23 as part of C&S Engineers STEAM expo in the Science and Technology Building. ESF staff will have a hands-on activities designed to get fairgoers of all ages excited about science and the environment.
The state fair runs Aug. 21-Sept. 2 at the New York State Fairgrounds in Geddes.
Recent ESF News
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
- Dr. Shijie Liu Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Wins Award to Focus on Source Reduction
- ESF Faculty, Staff Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- ESF Celebrates Graduates Virtually
- ESF to Hold Online Commencement
- ESF’s American Chestnut Research Featured in New York Times Magazine
- Are Fishers in the North Country on the Decline?
- ESF-SU Solar Decathlon Team Earns Honorable Mention in National Competition
- Mighty Oaks Coaches on the Frontlines of the COVID-19 Fight
- City and County Proclaim 4/22 SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Open Homework Hotline for Grades K-12
- Every Day is Earth Day at ESF No Matter Where the Students Are
- Ranger School Students Complete Residential Program and Graduate
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210