ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair GLRC part of “Ask the Experts’8/19/2019SHARE:
ESF scientists will participate in Ask the Experts: Water Technology and Water Quality Days at the New York State Fair, Aug. 27 and 28.
Ask the Experts offers fairgoers the opportunity to ask questions and see demonstrations of underwater and aerial drones used for Great Lakes' aquatic research by personnel with the Great Lakes Research Consortium (GLRC), SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and New York Sea Grant.
Ask the Experts: Water Technology Day is Aug. 27. GLRC and New York Sea Grant personnel will demonstrate remotely-operated aquatic research vehicles in the state fair pond, located at the far west end of the fairgrounds, along with aerial drones used for Great Lakes' aquatic research. A GLRC in-water remote data-sensing buoy will be in the pond transmitting data to the nearby dry land-marina exhibit with boats representing more than 100 years of recreational boating in New York state and across 20th-century America.
Dr. Gregory Boyer of ESF's Department of Chemistry is the director of the GLRC which is housed at ESF. The GLRC is an organization of 18 colleges and universities with nine affiliate campuses in Ontario dedicated to collaborative research and education on the Great Lakes.
Ask the Experts: Water Quality Day is Aug. 28. GLRC researchers, ESF faculty and students will answer questions about water-quality issues and concerns, and water data collected by the GLRC data-sensing buoy in the state fair pond, representing similar buoys deployed throughout the Great Lakes region.
ESF will also be at the fair Aug. 23 as part of C&S Engineers STEAM expo in the Science and Technology Building. ESF staff will have a hands-on activities designed to get fairgoers of all ages excited about science and the environment.
The state fair runs Aug. 21-Sept. 2 at the New York State Fairgrounds in Geddes.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210