ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students Beth’s Bounty: The Food Pantry at ESF pays tribute to Beth Newkirk9/5/2019SHARE:
The College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) launched its new food pantry as students returned to campus this fall.
The food pantry is run by Alpha Xi Sigma, ESF's Honors Society student organization. It provides free food for any student who may be experiencing hunger and/or struggling to attain food due to financial hardships. The pantry is stocked with items from the Food Bank of Central New York, and donated food, pantry and personal care items. It is supported by funds given to The Food Pantry Fund.
Any ESF student can visit the pantry once a week during drop-in hours or by appointment through the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership. Students visiting the food pantry will fill out an intake form at each visit and bring their own bag. The pantry will be staffed by members of Alpha Xi Sigma, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Beth's Bounty: The Food Pantry at ESF is named in honor of Beth Ann Newkirk, an ESF student who died this summer in a house fire.
"Beth used the Syracuse University Food Pantry and would have been a passionate supporter of having a pantry on our campus," said Laura Crandall, director of student involvement and leadership.
Recent ESF News
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210