Mighty Oaks Sports Weekend Recap (Week of Oct. 6) Freshman duo lead cross country teams; Soccer teams win the Barkeater Cup10/8/2019SHARE:
It was a busy weekend for ESF athletics.
The cross-country teams headed to the Hamilton Invite and came away with new records. Freshman Abby Perez came first overall in the women's 5K race with a time of 18:43. Her time broke the school record previously held by Marissa Lathrop. An ESF trio of junior Julie Romano, senior Erin Cocca and sophomore Cassidy Engleson finished seventh, eighth and ninth overall. Perez's first-place finish helped ESF to a second-place finish overall out of seven schools. The hosts Hamilton College finished first overall.
In the men's race, another freshman, Matt Tripp, finished first overall in the 8K race with a time of 25:33. His time broke the school record set in 2014 by Timmy Callahan. Junior Mark McClenahan finished 11th overall with a time of 26:57 while fellow freshman Simon Seidl
finished 20th with a time of 27:38. The men's team placed second overall while the hosts Hamilton College finished first.
The Mighty Oaks cross country teams race again at the inaugural ESF Invite held at the new Tully Field Oct. 19.
On the soccer pitch, the Mighty Oaks continued their dominance over rival Paul Smith's College in the annual Barkeater Cup. The women's team defeated the Bobcats 5-0. Scoring for ESF was sophomore Claire Maring, junior Theresa Ferrigno, sophomore Kelly Cooper and seniors Alyssa Hughes and Maureen McCarthy. The women improve to 9-1 overall and next play Oct. 11 against Bryant and Stratton - Syracuse.
The men's team coming off back-to-back loses got back into the win column with a 9-0 victory over Paul Smith's. Senior Luke Day scored two goals. Sophomores Jack Phillips and Owen Henkler also scored a pair of goals each as did junior William Byrne. The men's record now stands at 3-3-2. The squad takes on HVIAC rival Culinary Institute Oct. 13 at Tully Field.
Recent ESF News
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210