Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award Associate professor selected for commitment to research in phytotechnologies10/14/2019SHARE:
Dr. Lee Newman was awarded the Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award by the International Phytotechnology Society in conjunction with the International Journal of Phytoremediation, in honor of Dr. Ebbs.
Awardees are selected based on their work in the field of phytotechnologies that exemplify the same dedication and promotion as those exhibited by Ebbs until his untimely death in 2017. Phytotechnology is the strategic use of plants to solve environmental problems by remediating the qualities and quantities of soil, water and air resources and by restoring ecosystem services in managed landscapes. As with the award's namesake, Newman was selected based on her demonstrated time and commitment to the society and the journal through her world-class research, publication and practice.
In 2019, the past international awardees unanimously selected Newman for her significant activity as editor-in-chief for the International Journal of Phytoremediation, organization and planning of the International Phytotechnology Conferences, foundational service in the International Phytotechnology Society, and endless enthusiasm in driving the field of phytotechnologies to new horizons. In the citation for her award, it was stated that the Journal and Society would not have their current prominent positions and level of impact on the environmental and scientific communities without her past and ongoing efforts.
Recent ESF News
- Dr. Lemir Teron to Be Honored as Unsung Hero
- New Department Name Reflects Growth in Academic Programs
- ‘Transformational’ Gift from Templeton Foundation Supports Chestnut Restoration
- ESF Professor’s Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics
- AIC Hosts First Day Hike in the Adirondacks
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210