ESF Professorís Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics Janine DeBaiseís book Body Language tackles taboo topics12/23/2019SHARE:
A new book of ecofeminist poetry by Janine DeBaise, a professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), delves into the once-taboo topics of rape and sexual assault in a lyrical critique of American culture.
DeBaise questions the sexist practices of her childhood church and takes a jab at Disney in her a vision of a body-positive world. Her book Body Language begins with a breastfeeding woman comparing her measurements to those of a life-size Barbie doll.
The book ends with a celebration of the body and an affirmation of the ways that nature, community and friendship can lead to healing.
DeBaise teaches writing and literature in ESF's Department of Environmental Studies. She writes creative nonfiction and poetry that explore feminist and environmental issues. The full-length book of poetry is published by Main Street Rag Publishing, an independent press in Charlotte, North Carolina.
DeBaise's poetry and essays have appeared in numerous journals, including Orion Magazine, Portland Review, North American Review, and Southwest Review. Her poetry chapbook Of a Feather was published by Finishing Line Press as part of their New Women's Voices Series.
Recent ESF News
- Casey Duffy Named Rising Professional by SUNYCDO
- Jordan Jessamy Honored with SUNY Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- USA Working to Keep Students Socially Connected
- ESF Postpones Spring 2020 Commencement
- ESF Operational Staff Key to Making a Sustainable Difference
- Chat Live on Instagram
- Dr. Karin E. Limburg Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Calling all New York State Bird Lovers: Your Help is Needed
- ESF Roosevelt Wild Life Collection Receives Donation from Larry and Janet Clingerman
- Ranger School Hockey Club Scores Goal Building Camaraderie
- Jordan Jessamy Earns Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence
- LA Students, Faculty Honored by ASLA
- Research: When Vehicles and Mammals Collide
- ESF is First College in New York to Sign Plastic Ban Pledge
- Global Conservation Lectures Explore Extinction, Conservation, Biodiversity Data
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210