ESF Professor Wins National Award Janine DeBaise honored with 2020 Vinnie Ream Medal for Letters1/29/2020SHARE:
Janine DeBaise, a professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), won the national 2020 Vinnie Ream Medal competition for her essay "The Space Between." Her essay came in first place overall in the Letters category, competing across three genres: fiction, nonfiction and poetry. She will be honored at the Vinnie Ream banquet at the 2020 Biennial of the National League of American Pen Women (NLAPW) in April.
According to the judges of the competition, DeBaise's essay "The Space Between" is a "breath-taking work of art in which family ties to each other and our environment are poetically and powerfully woven together." DeBaise's essay was published in The Hopper, a literary magazine focused on environmental issues from Green Writers Press. The essay describes the 1976 oil spill on the St. Lawrence River and the death of the author's sister from breast cancer.
DeBaise has published essays in journals that include Orion Magazine and the Southwest Review. She is the author of two collections of poetry: "Body Language" and "Of a Feather." She teaches writing and literature in ESF's Department of Environmental Studies.
The award honors the legacy of Lavinia Ellen "Vinnie" Ream, a Civil War-era artist whose most famous work is the statue of Lincoln in the Capitol Rotunda. Ream was a student of the harp throughout her life and often incorporated an image of a harp in her work as a sculptor. Harp pendants in sterling silver and gemstones are awarded at each Biennial to first-place winners in the art, letters and music categories.
Recent ESF News
- Joanne Mahoney to Co-chair IWBI COVID-19 Task Force
- Donít Look to Mature Forests to Soak Up Carbon Dioxide Emissions
- Four Students are Finalists in Planet Forward Storyfest Competition
- Casey Duffy Named Rising Professional by SUNYCDO
- Jordan Jessamy Honored with SUNY Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- USA Working to Keep Students Socially Connected
- ESF Postpones Spring 2020 Commencement
- ESF Operational Staff Key to Making a Sustainable Difference
- Chat Live on Instagram
- Dr. Karin E. Limburg Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Calling all New York State Bird Lovers: Your Help is Needed
- ESF Roosevelt Wild Life Collection Receives Donation from Larry and Janet Clingerman
- Ranger School Hockey Club Scores Goal Building Camaraderie
- Jordan Jessamy Earns Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence
- LA Students, Faculty Honored by ASLA
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210