Dr. Shijie Liu Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF 5/12/2020SHARE:
Dr. Shijie Liu, professor in ESF's Department of Chemical Engineering, was named the College's Exemplary Researcher for 2020-21.
Liu focuses his work on sustainable resources and the environment. He has made significant research and scientific contributions in the field of catalytic processing of biomass into various value-added biochemical and biofuels.
Liu has contributed to the fundamentals of chemical engineering processes in addition to its applications in green processes.
His book on bioprocess engineering kinetics has been used to train students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels for almost a decade and has been a global influence in teaching undergraduate and graduate students. It is one of the top textbooks in the field of bioprocess engineering which articulates the key principles of bioreaction engineering and bioprocess systems engineering that enable bioprocess engineers to engage in the analysis, optimization, design, and consistent control over industrial biological processes.
Liu is a dedicated teacher of undergraduates and graduate students teaching a variety of courses. Students react extremely well to his teaching methods as he engages them and elicits reactions to material that students would not normally react to.
He has trained a large number of Ph.D. and master's of science students and also several postdoctoral scientists and young academics. Their impact in the industry and academic fields is significant.
Liu has been an extraordinary and exemplary researcher and is distinguished as one of the top researchers at ESF with an international reputation. He has been managing a team of approximately 10 graduate students for the past decade and has authored or co-authored more than 190 refereed journal publications in highly cited and reputed journals in the field. He has 7,012 total citations (Google Scholar) and has achieved a high H-Index factor of 51 (Google Scholar).
To sustain his research efforts, Liu has received over $1 million in external funding as sole PI and played a major supporting role in an additional $4 million in funding. His sponsors include New York State Energy Research & Development, the Department of Energy, and Alberta Pacific Forest Industries, Inc.
The Exemplary Researcher Award is a college-level award recognizing successful, currently active researchers with exemplary research activity, publication record and a graduate/undergraduate student mentorship program.
Liu was also honored this spring with the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities.
Recent ESF News
- Promoting a contagion of gratitude
- Dr. Shijie Liu Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Wins Award to Focus on Source Reduction
- ESF Faculty, Staff Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- ESF Celebrates Graduates Virtually
- ESF to Hold Online Commencement
- ESF’s American Chestnut Research Featured in New York Times Magazine
- Are Fishers in the North Country on the Decline?
- ESF-SU Solar Decathlon Team Earns Honorable Mention in National Competition
- Mighty Oaks Coaches on the Frontlines of the COVID-19 Fight
- City and County Proclaim 4/22 SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Open Homework Hotline for Grades K-12
- Every Day is Earth Day at ESF No Matter Where the Students Are
- Ranger School Students Complete Residential Program and Graduate
- Deep Dive for Big Results
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210