SUNY Chancellor Malatras Visits ESF 11/12/2020SHARE:
ESF welcomed SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras to the Syracuse campus earlier this week. The Chancellor spent time with students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
During his visit, he saw first-hand the College's COVID-19 testing operation and spoke with Dr. Brian Leydet, who has spearheaded this initiative. The Chancellor also interacted with a number of students and staff members working at the testing location. At a round-table session in the Roosevelt Wild Life Center classroom, he welcomed Joanie Mahoney as ESF's fifth president and the first woman to hold the office.
Participants, which included faculty, academic governance and student leaders, and members of the administration, discussed specific issues related to ESF and SUNY, as well as general higher education challenges. The dialogue included how ESF can play a larger role with SUNY and the State of New York as related to environmental and sustainability initiatives. Dr. Rebecca Rundell introduced the Chancellor to the Roosevelt Wild Life Center and shared some of the Center's most prized specimens.
The Chancellor finished his inaugural visit to ESF with an introduction to the College's Combined Heat and Power Plant in the Gateway Center. The innovative system provides steam and electricity to the Gateway Center and four additional campus buildings. The Chancellor and President Mahoney had productive discussions about the College, its challenges, and a host of opportunities to jointly explore with SUNY.
Recent ESF News
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
- Dr. Kimmerer Elected Member of American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- ESF Launches Master of Engineering Degree
- Paper Engineering Students Give Office Paper Second Life
- Mighty Oaks Track Team Returns to the Track
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Recycling Website on Earth Day
- City and County Mark April 22 as SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210