Dr. Mark Teece Wins Teaching Award 11/16/2020SHARE:
Mark Teece, associate professor, Department of Chemistry was selected as the 2020 recipient of the ESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching.
Teece's nomination package contained several glowing student recommendations related to his creation and teaching of a new section for first-year students struggling with chemistry. He is known for using humor and relatable applications throughout his lectures to engage his students and help them understand the principles taught and find academic success.
Teece has also taken the time to mentor individual students and tutors with the SUNY Educational Opportunity Program and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) helping under-represented or economically disadvantaged students pass the challenging first-year chemistry course enabling them to continue their ESF journey.
His research interests include the biogeochemistry of marine and freshwater systems. In particular, he is intrigued by carbonate systems including coral reefs and freshwater microbialites. His lab uses chemical and geochemical methods to understand the complex relationships in aquatic systems.
Teece earned his Ph.D. in organic geochemistry in 1994 from the Organic Geochemistry Unit, at the University of Bristol, England.
The Foundation Award was established in 1999 to celebrate the accomplishments of ESF faculty who excel at the art of teaching. Recipients are selected by a committee of faculty peers that is organized by the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Foundation provides winners with a personalized framed citation and a cash award of $1,000. A plaque displayed in Bray Rotunda lists the names of all recipients. The award was presented virtually at a meeting of the ESF College Foundation Board of Directors on Nov. 13.
Recent ESF News
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
- Dr. Kimmerer Elected Member of American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- ESF Launches Master of Engineering Degree
- Paper Engineering Students Give Office Paper Second Life
- Mighty Oaks Track Team Returns to the Track
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Recycling Website on Earth Day
- City and County Mark April 22 as SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210