ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration 3/23/2021SHARE:
ESF was one of 17 SUNY schools to be awarded grants to purchase food pantry refrigeration.
The grants are part of a larger effort to ensure students on campuses have access to refrigerated items as food insecurity grows across the nation. All SUNY students have access to a food pantry on or near campus, and with today's awards, 55 campuses are now equipped to handle fresh food along with non-perishable items.
ESF established its pantry - Beth's Bounty: The Food Pantry at ESF - in 2019. It's run by Alpha Xi Sigma, the College's Honors Society student organization. It provides free food for any student who may be experiencing hunger and/or struggling to attain food due to financial hardships.
"Food insecurity on college campuses is an important issue and we are working to eliminate it so our students can focus on their education. We are thrilled to have a refrigeration unit so we can increase the food items we can offer our students said ESF President Joanie Mahoney. "We're grateful to SUNY for providing the grant to make this possible.""
The addition of a refrigeration unit will increase the food options the pantry can provide. "We'll now be able to provide fresh produce, dairy and other healthy food items for our students," said Laura Crandall, director of student involvement and leadership.
"Hunger has no place on our campuses, and we must do everything we can to eliminate it so that students can focus on their studies," said SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras. "Our mission at SUNY is to make that decision easier by supporting our students with sustainable food options with the hope that one day our food pantries won't be necessary. Until that day happens, we will make our food pantries as robust as possible, and with a little bit of funding, we are able to do so."
Any ESF student can visit the pantry once a week during drop-in hours or by appointment through the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership. The pantry is stocked with items from the Food Bank of Central New York and donated food, pantry and personal care items. It is supported by funds given to The Food Pantry Fund.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNY’s 2021 Mascot Madness
- ESF Hosts Mini Maple Weekend at Heiberg Forest
- SUNY Announces Grand Opening of Vector Biocontainment Lab at Upstate Medical to Research Infectious Diseases
- Tap Into Maple Syrup at Heiberg Forest
- March Mammal Madness Takes to Twitter
- ESF Student Honored with Award for Student Excellence
- Vending Machines Part of the Plastic-Free Solution
- ESF Hires Project Director for NYS Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Class Crosses Continents to Prepare Consultants
- ESF Against the Stigma of Mental Illness Promotes Mental Health Awareness
- ESF Helps Give Westcott Reservoir Expanded Purpose
- Department Name Change Acknowledges 21st Century Environmental Needs
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210