Marianne Patinelli-Dubay, Ph.D.
Environmental Philosophy Program Coordinator
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry
6312 State Route 28N
Newcomb, NY 12852
Cultivating Our Conservation Ethic
- An essay in the forthcoming 2nd Edition Introduction to Consulting Forestry imagines virtue as a set of qualities that are strengthened by their alignment, rooted in place, and free of contradiction. Read more here.
- "A forester operates according to the established and emerging wisdom of the trade, and this knowledge is improved through insight into how world-views have shaped the profession and given rise to its internal disagreements." Read Dr. Patinelli-Dubay's June 2021 essay.
- Keynote Address to the 19th Annual Foresters Forum, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 2020: The Wrestling
- Listen to a discussion between Dr. Patinelli-Dubay and Todd Waldron of the popular East to West Hunting Podcast on what it's all about and why it matters.
- Keynote Address to the Society of American Foresters National Convention, Louisville, KY 2019: Forestry as a Vocation and the Responsibilities of a Calling.
- FOR 421: Practical Ethics for Resource Managers (3CR) Introduction to the history and practical function of ethics in the context of resource management professions, with a special emphasis on forestry. Particular attention will be paid to establishing an ethically sound position, aligning competing values and priorities among interested parties and effectively communicating management decisions. Required for graduating seniors in FRM offered Fall, Spring and Summer terms.
- Practical Ethics for Forestry Professionals (4 Cat 1-CF credits) Developed with support from the NYS-DEC, this workshop teaches professional foresters and land management personnel to use a variety of ethical methods and techniques in order to reach group consensus on real and complex fieldwork situations.
Practical Ethics for Forestry Professionals, a textbook designed to correspond with FOR 421 is anticipated in spring 2023. This book will be required for FRM students fulfilling the ethics requirement through this class.
- Forest Stewards Guild, Membership and Policy Committee
- Society of American Foresters, Adirondack Chapter Chair