Formal Name: Joseph S. Illick Hall
Dedication Date: 1968
Gross Area: 140,870 SF
Original Cost: $4,957,000
Primary Use: Teaching; Research; Service
- Department of Environmental Biology
- National Park Service Cooperative Park Studies Unit
Program Support Facilities
- TV studio (room 16)
- animal room (room 231)
- vertebrate collection (room 215)
- mycological herbarium (room 440)
- herbarium (room 452)
- greenhouses (fifth floor)
- entomology collection
- "Smart" Classroom
Origin of Name: Named after Joseph S. Illick, a popular dean of the College (1944-1951), because of the wonderful rapport he had with students.
Illick Hall is home to the Department of Environmental Biology (EB) and features the College’s beautiful greenhouses located on the roof of the building. It also houses the Roosevelt Wild Life Collection (named for Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the U.S. and a dedicated conservationist). EB is the College’s largest academic department, and Illick Hall contains faculty offices, laboratories and classrooms, along with a small lecture hall.
The construction of Illick Hall on the south side of campus created the ESF Quadrangle, an open-air gathering place for the College community. Illick shared dedication ceremonies on Oct. 11, 1968 with its neighbor on the Quad’s west end, Moon Library. It is located directly across the street from Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome.