Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Undergraduate Admissions
Transferring to ESF

Orange horizontal rule

Application Filing Dates

Spring 2024

  • All applicants Recommended Filing Date: November 15, 2023

Fall 2024

  • Early Action First-Year Deadline: November 15, 2023
  • Regular First-Year Recommended Filing Date: January 15, 2024
  • Guaranteed Transfer Recommended Filing Date: January 15, 2024
  • Transfer Recommended Filing Date: February 15, 2024

Application Codes

SAT: 2530
ACT: 2948
TOEFL DI: 2530
FAFSA: 002851
NYS TAP: 0950

SUNY ESF welcomes transfer students in all undergraduate programs of study. Approximately 40% of our students transfer to ESF. Applicants who have completed college-level coursework following high school graduation will be considered transfer students.

Transfer student admissibility is based primarily on academic performance in college coursework completed and the applicability of that coursework to the requirements of their intended ESF program of study. Consideration is also given to the relationship of the student's prior academic discipline to the intended program of study. For most ESF programs, emphasis is placed on the student's background in mathematics and science. Landscape Architecture applicants should have some background in art or graphic design, and they are required to submit a portfolio.

Cooperative Transfer Colleges

ESF has "transfer articulation" agreements with Cooperative Colleges in New York and surrounding states that identify equivalent courses for ESF lower division degree requirements and designate advisors at each campus to assist in course selection and scheduling. ESF Admissions staff members also advise students preparing to transfer, and they regularly visit Cooperative College campuses. You may attend a non-participating college, but you should consult the ESF Admissions Office for guidance on course scheduling.

Transfer Credit

College level course work equivalent to the SUNY ESF program of study requirements can be transferred to the College, but grades and grade points cannot be transferred. Credit will be awarded only for those courses completed with a grade of "C" or higher. ESF will grant appropriate college credit based on test scores achieved through participation in the College Entrance Examination Board's Advanced Placement (AP) program, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program for which the student has achieved the approved examination score. Students who have earned college credit after high school graduation are considered transfer applicants. Learn more:

Already Have A Bachelor’s Degree?

If you already have a bachelor’s or graduate degree, you are strongly advised to contact the ESF Graduate School to explore possible graduate study. If you then choose to pursue a second undergraduate degree, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Special Programs & Opportunities

Educational Opportunity Program

The State University of New York's Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides access, academic support, and financial aid to students who show promise for mastering college-level work, but who may otherwise not be admitted. Offered to full-time students who are New York State residents, EOP accepts students who qualify academically and economically for the program. Complete the EOP section on the SUNY Application or The Common Application to apply for EOP. More information can be found at the SUNY EOP web site.

  • Note: Transfer students are eligible for EOP provided they have been enrolled in EOP, College Discovery, HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program), SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge) or a similar academic and financial support program at their previous college.

Guaranteed Transfer

Guaranteed Transfer is an application pathway available to high school students only. For more information on this option, refer to Information for High School Applicants.

Deferred Admission

Students accepted to SUNY ESF who wish to defer their enrollment for one or two semesters beyond their original entry date must make this request in writing directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Those students will receive written notification if their request has been approved.


Students who wish to return to the College after a leave of absence (medical or military), change in educational plan, or academic and/or disciplinary dismissal, may apply for readmission through the Office of Student Affairs readmission is NOT facilitated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Contact Student Support to obtain information or to schedule an appointment with the Senior Counselor.