There are loads of articles and research today that support the hiring of veterans and the value they bring to the civilian sector. The bottom-line is this, veterans are highly skilled, and they bring many sought after competencies that employers seek today in their employees.
Your transferable skills from your military experience include:
- Performing under pressure
- Ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds
Veterans’ possess skills and competences that meet the needs of today’s employers therefore making you a viable candidate in today’s job market.
Additional Resources to Explore
- Feds Hire Vets: A single site for federal employment information for Veterans, transitioning service members, their families, and federal hiring officials.
- My Next Move for Veterans: Looking to make the transition from the military to a civilian career? This online tool provides comparable skills, salary information, job listings, and more for over 900 different career.
- Veterans Portal on CareerOneStop: Offers tools to assist veterans with employment, training, career planning, and financial and emotional help after military service.
- VA for VETS: The Department of Veterans Affairs is committed to adding and retaining Veterans to our workforce.
- eBenefits: eBenefits a portal - a central location for Veterans, service members, and their families to research, find, access, and, in time, manage their benefits and personal information.
Inspired in part by: Syracuse University Career Services, Cornell Career Services, UC Berkeley Career Center, and RIT Career Services