ESF Science Corps and Girls Inc. of CNY Research Pollution at Elmwood Park
Joined by Congressman James Walsh and Frank Dober Jr. of Trout Unlimited
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if more information is required.
Members of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) Science Corps helped Girls Inc. of CNY with bird feeder experiments, conducted a pollution relay, did cleanup, learned about nature journaling and performed a water quality survey in an urban watershed during the daylong education camp at Elmwood Park.
Congressman James Walsh joined the students, along with Frank Dober Jr. from the Iroquois Chapter of Trout Unlimited, for an introduction into fly tying and casting.
The ESF S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (Summer Camps Investigating Ecology in Neighborhood and City Environments) program exposes Syracuse middle school students (upcoming fall 7th and 8th graders) to science and environmental education. Through summer environmental camps, students are involved in programs that emphasize urban ecology and urban ecosystems that are relevant to their lives, a critical key for cultivating and sustaining interest in science during the middle school years and beyond.
The environmental summer camp, situated in local green spaces such as Elmwood Park and the Onondaga Creek corridor, makes students more aware of urban environmental issues and motivates students to become involved in determining the outcomes of environmental problem solving.
In addition, students are involved in service learning projects that promote environmental stewardship and environmental awareness, as students take pride in maintaining and improving the environment for their communities.
The program is made possible through a $300,000, three-year grant obtained by Congressman Walsh.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210