Longtime ESF Trustee Curtis H. Bauer Dies
Past chair, served over 30 years
Curtis H. Bauer, 80, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) who went on to lead the College as chair of the board of trustees, died Aug. 29 in WCA Hospital, Jamestown.
Mr. Bauer was a member of the ESF board of trustees for more than 30 years, earning him the distinction of being the longest-serving trustee in the SUNY system. His tenure spanned that of all three ESF College presidents. He served as chair of the board of trustees from 1995 to 2000.
Mr. Bauer was a 1950 graduate of the forestry program at ESF. Three years later, he founded a consulting forestry business, Forecon Inc., and built it into the largest in New York state. By the time he sold the Jamestown-based business in 1991, Forecon counted among its clients some of the largest industrial forest products firms in the country.
In addition to his service on the board of trustees, Mr. Bauer served on the ESF College Foundation board and chaired or served on advisory committees for the Faculty of Forestry and Natural Resource Management.
Last winter, the College and its Alumni Association presented Mr. Bauer with ESF's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Mr. Bauer's list of professional honors and affiliations reflect his long-standing commitment to his field. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of American Foresters (SAF) in 1985 and the New York Chapter of the SAF recognized him with its prestigious Heiberg and "Forester of the Year" awards.
He is survived by three sons: Craig, Robert, and Stuart; four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a brother.
Contributions may be made to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 825 Forest Ave, Jamestown, N.Y., 14701; or the Bauer-Forecon Scholarship Fund at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 1 Forestry Drive, Syracuse, NY, 13210.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210