Longtime ESF Trustee Curtis H. Bauer Dies
Past chair, served over 30 years
Curtis H. Bauer, 80, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) who went on to lead the College as chair of the board of trustees, died Aug. 29 in WCA Hospital, Jamestown.
Mr. Bauer was a member of the ESF board of trustees for more than 30 years, earning him the distinction of being the longest-serving trustee in the SUNY system. His tenure spanned that of all three ESF College presidents. He served as chair of the board of trustees from 1995 to 2000.
Mr. Bauer was a 1950 graduate of the forestry program at ESF. Three years later, he founded a consulting forestry business, Forecon Inc., and built it into the largest in New York state. By the time he sold the Jamestown-based business in 1991, Forecon counted among its clients some of the largest industrial forest products firms in the country.
In addition to his service on the board of trustees, Mr. Bauer served on the ESF College Foundation board and chaired or served on advisory committees for the Faculty of Forestry and Natural Resource Management.
Last winter, the College and its Alumni Association presented Mr. Bauer with ESF's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Mr. Bauer's list of professional honors and affiliations reflect his long-standing commitment to his field. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of American Foresters (SAF) in 1985 and the New York Chapter of the SAF recognized him with its prestigious Heiberg and "Forester of the Year" awards.
He is survived by three sons: Craig, Robert, and Stuart; four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and a brother.
Contributions may be made to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 825 Forest Ave, Jamestown, N.Y., 14701; or the Bauer-Forecon Scholarship Fund at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 1 Forestry Drive, Syracuse, NY, 13210.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
- Governor Appoints New Trustees to ESF Board
- ESF Represented at Bioeconomy Conference
- Great Lakes Research Consortium Awards Funding to Five Projects
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food Security
- Community Invited to ESF to Share Ideas About Future of Erie Canal
- ESF Professor Honored by Russian University
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210