ESF-NYSERDA Partnership Powers Up
Baker Laboratory solar array turned on
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact email@example.com if more information is required.
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF) President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., and New York State Energy Research and Development Authority President and CEO Paul D. Tonko Friday flipped the switch on a 23 kw (kilowatt) photovoltaic array built on the south wall of ESF’s Baker Laboratory as part of a $29 million rehabilitation project using the latest in green construction practices.
Combined with the photovoltaic (PV) array installed earlier this year on the roof of Walters Hall and the carbonate fuel cell that went to full power this past spring, the new Baker PV system means 20 percent of the college’s electricity needs now come from alternative, renewable energy resources.
President Murphy said, “We at ESF are moving down the path to be carbon neutral. We are making this investment because it is the right thing environmentally for our campus. It also gives us credibility to teach green to our students and encourage the Central New York community to adopt similar practices.”
“None of this would be possible without the encouragement and support of NYSERDA,” Murphy continued.
NYSERDA President Tonko said, “NYSERDA’s commitment to transform the way we produce and consume electricity is following Gov. Spitzer’s leadership and striving to reduce energy consumption by 15 percent by 2015. Our PV and wind incentive programs reduce installation costs by about one-half for residential and commercial systems.”
Tonko also noted that NYSERSDA helped fund the installation of the ESF fuel cell combined heat and power system that provides power and supplemental steam to the college and is included as part of the ESF student curriculum.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210