Women's Soccer Team Defeats Albany Pharmacy
Victory comes during second OT in USCAA Soccer Championships
The Mighty Oaks women's soccer team needed 104 minutes of toughness and grit against blistering winds and a rain-drenched night in West Virginia to defeat Albany Pharmacy 1-0 in its first game of 2014 USCAA Soccer National Championships held on Nov. 6.
The Mighty Oaks dominated possession for most of the first half. Senior Bridget Cuddihy had ESF's closest scoring opportunity at the 19-minute mark, however the shot sailed just over the cross bar.
In the second half, ESF had two early breaks off from corner kicks but were not able to capitalize. Freshman Rachel Truska had another scoring chance off a free kick at the 35-minute mark but the shot went wide right. ESF continued to control the ball much of the second half. Despite having a 9-1 advantage on corner kicks in the game, the Mighty Oaks were not able to convert any of these opportunities into goals.
With four minutes remaining in the second overtime, off the team's 10th corner kick attempt, Cuddihy was able to poke the ball into the back corner of the net off a pass from freshman Anna Bishop giving the Mighty Oaks a 1-0 win.
The Mighty Oaks move on to the semifinals and will face the #3 seed Daemen College at 3 p.m., Nov. 7.
Recent ESF News
- On the Land, One-quarter of Vertebrates Die Because of Humans
- Fulbright Scholar Picks ESF for Study of Genetic Engineering Technique
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210