Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Federal Work Study

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use my grant to work in a federal work-study position at Syracuse University?

No. Federal Work-Study grants are not transferrable to Syracuse University. Students are only allowed to earn work-study wages through employment in an ESF approved position. All of the currently available positions are listed on the ESF Web Site and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships bulletin board in Bray Hall.

Note that ESF students can work for Syracuse University as student employees, but can not be paid using federal work-study funding.

Is it possible to wait until the spring semester to use my federal work-study grant?

Yes. However, many of the available positions will be filled early in the fall semester each year. Students may still be able to find work-study employment in the spring, but the options may be much more limited.

Can I use my federal work-study grant to pay my bills from SUNY ESF or Syracuse University?

Federal Work-Study is different from all other aid sources in that the grant funding is not processed as a credit on the bill. Students receive money from a work-study grant as a bi-weekly pay check based on hours worked. As a result, the total grant amount will not be available at the start of the year. If students would like to use their earnings to pay a bill they must do so manually.