M.S., M.P.S. or Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry
Graduate students in polymer chemistry select their courses from a range of offerings in chemistry, chemical engineering, mathematics, physics, and other appropriate areas. These courses include the one-year sequence in the physical and organic chemistry of polymers and such additional courses as the student and advisor consider necessary.
Special topics in a spectrum of polymer fields are offered or can be arranged in consultation with the faculty.
Polymer Chemistry Courses
- FCH 550 Polymer Science: Synthesis and Mechanisms
- FCH 551 Polymer Techniques
- FCH 552 Polymer Science: Properties and Technology
- FCH 650 Statistical Physics and Chemistry of Macromolecules
- Other courses taught include Membrane Science and Technology and Biomass Chemistry
Faculty and their Specialties
Follow the links immediately below for detailed descriptions of research of any professor. Many other useful links are found just below the listing of faculty.
- Neal M. Abrams; firstname.lastname@example.org
Inorganic chemistry, material science, renewable energy
- Avik P. Chatterjee; email@example.com
polymer chemistry, theoretical polymer and physical chemistry
- Ivan Gitsov Ivanov; firstname.lastname@example.org
synthesis and characterization of dendrimers, hyperbranched, and other nanostructured polymers, polymer chemistry, "green" chemistry, polymer synthesis through biocatalysis, biomaterials
- Gyu Leem; email@example.com
Environmental and polymer chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry, materials science, surface chemistry, light harvesting polymers, photocatalytic and/or magnetic composite materials, solar energy conversion, water remediation
Selected applicants to the graduate program will be offered a full tuition waiver and a 12 month stipend that will cover their living expenses, and the costs of books and fees. Students are supported primarily as research assistants rather than teaching assistants, and as a result they have more time to devote to their research.
Current Polymer Research Areas
Prospective graduate students are strongly encouraged to contact any professor whose research is of interest.
- Dendrimers and hyperbranched molecules (Gitsov)
- Percolation methods in theoretical polymer chemistry (Chatterjee)
- Preparation and characterization of functional polymers (Gitsov)
- Polymer chromophore-catalyst assembly for solar fuel generation (Leem)
- Polymer-based photocatalyst (Leem)
- Renewable polymer materials (Leem)
- Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics of polymer systems (Chatterjee)