Join our growing network of alumni who share their academic and professional experience with our current ESF students.
As an ESF Connections participant, you will enhance our student’s undergraduate experience and prepare them to launch their own professional careers. Your connection with the students will assist with career exploration, and your advice will aid in the development of their professional persona.
As part of the program, we also hope to provide the students with some real-world experience. If you are able to provide a student with an externship, internship opportunity, or simply advice via an informational interview, please consider doing so; the experience will prove beneficial for everyone involved. The ESF students will have an opportunity to explore a number of career opportunities available to them upon graduation and you will have the opportunity to influence the next generation of students entering the work force.
How the Program Works
Once you have completed the ESF Connections form, an Alumni Connections profile will be generated and housed within the ESF Alumni Association and the Career Services Office.
While the Externship Program and serving as a Guest Panelist/Speaker are formalized events, if a student is interested in connecting with an alumni for an informational interview, resume review, or mock interview, your preferred contact information will be shared with that student who is interested (i.e. a student is interested in learning more about a specific career, your phone number or email address – based on your indication – would be provided so the student could reach out to you).
Opportunities to connect with ESF students include, but are not limited to:
- Externship Program: Similar to a job shadow, host an ESF student and introduce them to your profession, industry, and/or organization, provide a tour of your workplace, answer questions, and allow a student(s) to observe your daily routine. See below for more detail on our Externship Program.
- Informational Interviews: Speak to an ESF student (either via in-person, phone, or the web) about your experiences and skills, provide any career advice and industry insight, and answer student questions.
- Guest Speaker/Professional Panelist: Serve as a guest speaker or panelist either in-person for planned on-campus events or via web-based technology.
- Mock Interviews: Provide mock interviews for students either in-person for planned on-campus events, phone conversations or web-based technology.
- Resume Reviews: Review student resumes either in-person for planned on-campus events or electronically.
- Posting Internship Experiences/Job Opportunities: We can provide you with information and step-by-step instructions on how to create a company profile and utilize Handshake, our career management system to post opportunities for ESF students/recent graduates.
Externship Program Overview
Our hope is to create half-day, one-day and multi-day shadowing experiences that allow students to spend time with alumni at work. Through observation and conversation, participating students have the opportunity to learn more about a profession, receive career-related advice, and reflect on the ways in which their SUNY-ESF education can prepare them for life and success after college.
Goals/Aims of Externship Program
- Helps students gain experience in order to successfully pursue an internship
- Links ESF to additional experiential learning opportunities for students
- Aids students to professionally network
- Develop stronger relationships between ESF Alumni and current ESF students