Department of Chemistry
Scholarships, Fellowships & Other Awards
The Department of Chemistry has a long history of providing many need and merit-based scholarships each year. Over $10,000 in scholarships are made possible by very generous contributions made to both ESF and the Department of Chemistry.
2017-2018 Award Winners
- Zaynab Taveras- Outstanding Freshman
- Emily Cattarin - Outstanding Sophomore
- Annie Stevens - Outstanding Junior
- Daniel Fougnier - Outstanding Senior
- Trevor Cornish- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
- Kaela Natwora- Chemistry Citizenship Award, Shirley Wilbur Award
- Matthew Blake - ACS Affiliate Award
- Jordan Pitt - Ernest Sondheimer Award
- Xavier Schafer- Outstanding 1st Year PhD
- Christopher Chambers - John Meyer Award for Environmental Chemistry
- Dieter Scheibel- John Meyer Graduate Award
- Xin Liu - Michael Szwarc Graduate Award
- Shelby Coleman- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award
- Zhuyun Ye - Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award
- Tyler Coccarelli - Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award
There are several awards currently available to graduate and undergraduate students.
- Chemistry Emeriti fellowship - Established by Dr. Edwin C. Jahn to aid graduate and undergraduate students of the Department of Chemistry at ESF. It was Dr. Jahn's intention to honor the work of 5 distinguished emeriti faculty members by selecting student recipients whose research interests matched those of the emeriti. The emeriti to be honored through this fund are: Dr. Conrad Schuerch (natural polymers and carbohydrates); Dr. Robert Silverstein (chemical ecology); Dr. Ernest Sondheimer (biochemistry); Dr. Michael Szwarc (polymer chemistry); Dr. Tore Timell (wood, tree and forest chemistry).
- Edwin C. Jahn fund - Established to award funds, at the discretion of the President, to the needs of the Department of Chemistry, the Department of Paper & Bioprocess Engineering, and the F. Franklin Moon Library.
- John A. Meyer Environmental Chemistry Undergraduate award - Established in 1980, this award was made possible by gifts from Marion Meyer and Professor John A. Meyer '58, a recognized authority in nuclear chemistry whose research interests at the College focused upon wood polymers and the chemical modification of wood, radiation chemistry and neutron activation analysis.
- John A. Meyer Graduate fellowship - Created in 1983 by Dr. Meyer '58 and his wife, Marion Waterman Meyer. It provides one year, renewable awards to advanced degree candidates in polymer and environmental chemistry, wood science, or environmental biology.
- Conrad Scheurch Chemistry Graduate scholarship - Established to aid deserving forest chemistry students with financial need in honor of Dr. Schuerch, a well respected member of the Faculty of Chemistry.
- Ernest Sondheimer fund - Established in 1974 to honor the memory and work of Professor Ernest Sondheimer, who was a distinguished faculty member in the College's Chemistry Department from 1957 to 1973.
- Syracuse Research Corporation fellowship - Established to support ESF graduate students pursuing advanced degrees in technical areas of major national and societal significance.
- Michael M. Szwarc Memorial scholarship - Established in memory of world-reknowned chemist Michael Szwarc by his children to assist graduate students studying in the field of physical chemistry.
Faculty of Chemistry awards
This series encompasses several merit based awards given by the Faculty of Chemistry.
- Outstanding Student awards - Given to the most outstanding undergraduates in each academic class, freshman through senior.
- Best Workshop Leader award - Given to the top performing General Chemistry workshop leader.
- Outstanding Undergraduate TA award - Presented to the best undergraduate teaching assistant during the academic year.
- Outstanding Graduate TA award - Presented to the top-performing graduate student teaching assistants during the academic year.
- Outstanding First Year Ph.D. award - Given to a top performing first-year graduate student in the Ph.D. program.
- Departmental Citizen award - Presented to an undergraduate who exemplifies service, academics, and scholarship in the Department of Chemistry.
- ACS Affiliate award - Given to a student to honor their commitment to the chemistry profession and sponsored by the local section of the American Chemical Society (ACS). The winner is awarded a one-year student membership to the ACS.