Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
Award is presented at ESF-hosted NY State Green Building Conference
Patrick Jackson, director of the Global Energy Management program (GEM) at Corning Incorporated, received the Green Building Advocate of the Year award at the 2019 New York State Green Building Conference.
The conference, held April 17 and 18 at the Marriott Downtown in Syracuse, New York,is hosted by the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry in partnership with the US Green Building Council New York Upstate and the Syracuse Center of Excellence in Environmental and Energy Systems.".
Jackson was credited with helping to improve companywide energy productivity by 35 percent since 2006, specifically:
- Cutting greenhouse gas emissions by more than 2.3 million metric tons, equivalent to the carbon dioxide emissions from nearly 250,000 homes in the U.S. over a one-year period
- Investing in renewable energy, including constructing a solar array at its plant in Oneonta, New York, and at two facilities in Taiwan
- Joining Apple's China Clean Energy Fund
- Launching an Employee Community Solar Program, in which employees can source portions of their home's electricity from community solar fields
- Achieving ENERGY STAR' Challenge for Industry at 20 global manufacturing plants since 2015
- Reducing energy intensity at its optical fiber and cable plants by 50 percent
- Providing high-tech equipment to help combat harmful algal blooms (HABs) in the Finger Lakes region of New York and sponsoring an annual community meeting to educate the public on the impact of HABs
- Surpassing half a billion dollars in energy savings for the company since 2006
Jackson and his team were recently awarded a sixth straight ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award, this year for Sustained Excellence
"It's about collaborating and sharing ideas with other world leaders in energy management," Jackson said when that award was presented. "Communication is the cornerstone of success, and sharing such best practices can help make our world a better and cleaner place."
The Advocate of the Year award is presented by the New York State Green Building Conference Advisory Council to an individual actively involved in green building and its supporting disciplines, either in a professional or volunteer capacity, and prominent in promoting the need to reduce the overall impact of the built environment on humans and the natural environment.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210