Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Department of Chemistry
Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Graduate Students


Answer: 2530


Fall: January 15
Spring: November 1
Applications completed by these target dates will normally receive decisions by early April for Fall matriculation and by early December for Spring matriculation.


Office of Instruction & Graduate Studies
One Forestry Drive, 227 Bray Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210

Answer: MS and PhD students receive tuition waivers and stipends. Students are usually supported during their first and second academic year as teaching assistants. Students are typically supported by research grants during summers, and in subsequent academic years. No assistantships are available for MPS students.

Answer: Academic year stipends are at least $18,000, with additional support available for summer. PhD students should earn $20,000 per calendar year. These stipends easily cover the cost of living in Syracuse.

Answer: The Chemistry Department gives out thousands of dollars in awards each year. 

Answer: Students from countries outside of the U.S. are required to submit additional forms to verify English proficiency skills and provide evidence of financial support for the duration of their studies. See Admissions Information for International Students.
To download supplemental forms, go to the SUNY website.

Answer:  ESF will issue students an I-20 (required for the F-1 student visa application process) after a student has

  1. been officially admitted to the college 
  2. submits our Commitment to Enroll Form (included in the acceptance materials) indicating that s/he will attend SUNY ESF in the upcoming semester.

Proof of adequate financial support documentation for one year of expenses at ESF is required, but the tuition waiver and stipend usually exceed the level of financial support required for issuing an I-20. 

Answer: Yes! Students may take any course at SU that is relevant to their program of study.  These courses automatically appear on ESF transcripts.

Answer: This is a link to information about Syracuse and the SUNY ESF community.

Answer: ESF student organizations, and ESF students can participate in student organizations at Syracuse University.

Answer: Yes. The Graduate Student Organization (GSA) represents graduate students at SUNY ESF. GSA officers and representatives from each department are elected each Spring. Visit the GSA website for more information.

Answer: Housing is available both on and off-campus for graduate students. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at Syracuse University at (315) 443-3637 or email at for more information about on-campus graduate student housing. Additionally, local housing websites like Orange Housing are good resources for off-campus housing.

Answer: Yes, and it is excellent!

Answer: MPS students take 30 credits, of which at least 24 credits are for coursework and 3 credits are for an integrative experience (internship, research, or independent study). More complete explanations may be found here in the information for current graduate students.