Loon Race Draws Crowd of Spectators
100 people join AIC celebration
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if more information is required.Copyright © All Rights Reserved by copyright holder
Scores of rubber loons tumbled out of traditional Adirondack pack baskets and into the Rich Lake Outlet May 26 to help celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Adirondack Interpretive Center's (AIC) operation under new leadership.
The Loon Drive was part of the AIC's Loons and Logs event, which highlighted the two most iconic symbols of human and natural history in the Adirondacks. A daylong schedule of educational presentations and demonstrations by the ESF Woodsmen's Team preceded the race, which raised money to support AIC programs.
"The event was wildly successful," said AIC Program Coordinator Paul Hai. The programs were informative and fun, the Woodsmen did some great demonstrations, we didn't lose any loons and the weather was absolutely ideal with almost no black flies - amazing for this time of year and we had close to 100 people at the event."
The loon race made history as the first race of its kind to use American-made rubber waterfowl. In addition, organizers believe the custom-made birds were the first rubber loons based on a traditional rubber duck concept.
Recent ESF News
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210