2nd International Biorefinery Conference
Scientists from around the world gather in Syracuse
The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), the International Union of Biorefineries, and the Biorefinery Institute organized the 2nd International Biorefinery Conference under way today and continuing tomorrow at the Doubletree Hotel in East Syracuse, N.Y.
Scientists from around the world, faculty, graduate students in biofuels, stakeholders in sustainable chemical industries, biomass production systems, and others involved in the next generation of biofuel investments are attending. The previous conference, two years ago, was held in Beijing, China.
Today's highlights include luncheon speaker Suzanne Hunt of the World Watch Institute discussing biorefineries and the development of emerging economies; followed by Jennifer Holmgren of UOP, a subsidiary of Honeywell International, explaining how to unlock the potential of biofuels; and a panel discussion during the evening banquet on bridging from biorefinery technology to commercial business success.
Wednesday includes morning sessions with Dr. G. Ronald Brown of the American Forest and Paper Association, and Professor Esteban Chornet of Universite' de Sherbrooke, on biorefinery technology development in the forest products industry and developing biomass feedstock.
ESF Professor Thomas Amidon, chair of the 2009 International Biorefinery Conference, delivers closing remarks at 1:30PM and attendees will be invited to visit the ESF biorefinery pilot project.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210