ESF Students Go Back To 5th Grade
Recycling, cleaning up and planting a garden
The video associated with this story has been removed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further information.
The Student Environmental Action Coalition at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) began work at Fraser School in the Syracuse City School District on Friday, April 9th, and will return the next two Fridays to help the fifth-grade students clean up the area around the school, learn about recycling, start flower seeds in their classrooms and finally transplant those flowers to the school grounds.
A dozen ESF students are participating in this service-learning project. They will have a chance to interact with the Fraser fifth graders in small groups and the ESF students are being encouraged to share what they study and what college is like.
"This is a great opportunity for fifth-grade students to perhaps meet a college student for the first time," said Elizabeth Mix, Volunteer and Service Learning Coordinator at ESF.
Mix said, "These young students are always shocked to hear that some college students can study bugs, animals, plants and other fun things."
Cleanup and recycling activities take place tomorrow. The flower planting is scheduled for April 16th and the transplanting of the flowers is set for April 23rd.
Fraser School is located at 741 Park Avenue.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210