Women's Soccer Team Falls in Semifinals
Season ends with 12-2-1 record
It was familiar territory and a familiar opponent for the Mighty Oaks women Friday, Nov. 6, as they fell 1-0 to Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in the semifinals of the USCAA soccer national championships in Asheville, North Carolina.
The Mighty Oaks had defeated Illinois Tech, 1-0, in the quarterfinals Nov. 5 to set up the matchup.
This was the third meeting of the season between ESF and Albany Pharmacy and the second time the two teams have met in the USCAA national tournament (the Mighty Oaks defeated the Panthers at last year's USCAA tournament 1-0 in double overtime). This sesaon, the Panthers defeated ESF 5-2 during the regular season and knocked off the Mighty Oaks in penalty kicks just two weeks ago in the HVIAC tournament.
In the first half of the national semifinal, ESF controlled possession, earning five corner kicks in the first 10 minutes but the Mighty Oaks were not able to convert any into goals. The offense continued to push the ball with the Mighty Oaks outshooting the Panthers with four direct shots on goal. At the half, the score was 0-0. Playing their second game in two days, the Mighty Oaks came out a little flat in the second half, allowing a goal at the 73rd minute to Albany Pharmacy after failing to clear the ball. ESF fought hard until the end but could not muster up a game-tying goal.
The women's soccer team ends its season with a winning of 12-2-1.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
- American Fisheries Society Honors Ringler
- ESF Hosts Largest-Ever Incoming International Class
- ESF Hosts Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210