Bass Fishing Team Competes in the College Fishing National Championship
The tournament featured 148 different teams.
The Mighty Oaks bass fishing team sent three squads to the 2019 YETI FLW College Fishing National Championship, June 4-6, held at Smallwood State Park, Maryland on the Potomac River.
The Mighty Oaks qualified for the national championship by finishing in the top 10 at Northern Conference qualifiers in Sandusky, Ohio last September.
On day one of the tournament, the duo consisting of Patrick Durand and Benjamin Schultes weighed five bass for 17 pounds and 2 ounces which had them sitting in fourth place out of more than 140 teams from 50 schools. The duo also received live coverage on FLW TV.
During the second day of action, the tides turned for the worse for the duo as they ended up finishing in 98th place overall with total of 17 pounds and 11 ounces.
The duo of Caleb Konrad and Brandon Exner also struggled to time the tides properly and couldn't capitalize at the right time. They finished 104th place with a two-day total of 16 pounds and 2 ounces.
The last squad of Mitch Natalizio and Jon Hoag struggled to get the right-size fish but persevered and managed to bring one fish to the scales on day two for a 145th place finish.
Overall it was a tremedous and memorable experience for the Mighty Oak anglers. The team will be back in competitive action in the fall.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food Security
- Community Invited to ESF to Share Ideas About Future of Erie Canal
- ESF Professor Honored by Russian University
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210