ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Mary Zarba conducts research aimed at protecting rare coral wilderness7/26/2019SHARE:
College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) student Mary Zarba is currently sailing with SEA Semester on a scientific research voyage to the remote Phoenix Islands in the Pacific Ocean.
Zarba, a environmental science major, is one of a select group of undergraduates from diverse colleges and universities conducting research that will assist in the ongoing development of an effective conservation plan for the region.
The Phoenix Islands Protected Area (PIPA) is one of the last remaining coral wildernesses on Earth. An expanse of ocean about the size of California, it is the largest - and deepest - UNESCO World Heritage site, with eight fauna-rich coral atolls.
Through an eight-week SEA Semester summer program called Protecting the Phoenix Islands, Zarba will collect samples from the marine environment to assess the effects of climate change, including coral bleaching. By providing real-time data, student projects will compose a picture of the state of the ocean for the benefit of the PIPA management office in Kiribati.
The program began June 10 at SEA Semester's campus in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, where the students completed preparatory coursework and developed their research projects in ocean science and conservation policy.
The class is in the midst of their five-week sailing voyage as active crewmembers and scientists aboard the SSV Robert C. Seamans, owned and operated by Sea Education Association.
From Pago Pago, American Samoa, they are sailing approximately 2,000 nautical miles across open ocean to the PIPA where they will spend three weeks conducting their research. The expedition ends back in American Samoa Aug. 12.
Recent ESF News
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
- Governor Appoints New Trustees to ESF Board
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210