Injury Illness Response and Reporting Procedure
The following is the procedure for reporting and response to injuries or illnesses for employees, students, official volunteers and/or visitors at SUNY ESF.
Injury/Illness Requiring Medical Response
- University Police should be called at x6666 in all cases to report any injury or illness potentially requiring emergency medical attention. When calling University Police, please provide details related to the seriousness of the injury or illness, name of the person, and exact location (building, floor, and room number). If you are with the person, please stay in the area until University Police arrives.
- University Police Officers are not authorized to transport individuals to hospitals
for medical assistance. University Police will assess the situation and contact an
ambulance if necessary, according to appropriate protocols. If it is determined an
ambulance is needed, both Rural Metro and Syracuse University Ambulance are simultaneously
notified. A determination of the appropriate ambulance service will be made between
the two responding ambulance services. (Note: Ambulance service may be covered under
employee health insurance plans if medically necessary, but the ill or injured employee
would be responsible for all expenses
and documentation and follow-up with the ambulance service.)
- If an ambulance is called, University Police will write a report of the incident and will notify the office of Human Resources. Any situation regarding hazardous material will also be reported by University Police to the Environmental Health and Safety Office. The Office of Human Resources will provide any other necessary notifications.
- Any work-related injury or illness for employees, student employees (related to their ESF employment) or official volunteers, whether or not medical assistance was required, should be reported on the SUNY ESF Injury/Illness Report form located online under Policies and Procedures | ESF Administration, also included with this procedure, and submitted to Ellen Brown, Sr. Personnel Associate, 315-470-6613, in the Office of Human Resources.
- State employees and or supervisors including state student employees must also call
888-800-0029 to report the work-related injury or illness to the Accident Reporting
will ensure a record of the injury and quick processing of any applicable benefits through the Workers’ Compensation carrier. In addition, State Employees must notify Ellen Brown, Sr.
Personnel Associate, at 315-470-6613 if any days of work will be missed due to the work related injury or illness and/or if medical treatment was provided. Please note: that the Workers’ Compensation carrier for State employees is the State Insurance Fund, NYSIF, PO Box 66699, Albany, NY 12206, should you need to provide that information to your health care provider.
- Research Foundation employees and or supervisors must notify Ellen Brown, Sr. Personnel
Associate, at 315- 470- 6613 if any days of work will be missed due to a work-related
injury or illness and/or if medical treatment was provided. Please note: that the
Compensation carrier for Research Foundation employees is Chubb Insurance, Eastern Claim Service Center, PO Box 4700, Chesapeake, VA 23327. Phone: 1-800-699-9916, should you need to provide that information to your health-care provider.
Any questions about this procedure should be addressed to the Office of Human Resources at 315-470-6611.
SUNY ESF Injury/Illness Report
Issue Date: 8/19/2013