Theodore A. EndrenyProfessor
426 Baker Lab
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
Research, Service, Teaching & Advising
Our research goal is to develop software tools for the restoration of natural resources and delivery of ecosystem services, in order to improve human wellbeing and biodiversity. We lead development of the i-Tree tools research suite.
We address questions involving how trees and landforms within the natural and developed environment: 1) interact with water, energy, and biogeochemical cycles, 2) improve sustainability and reduce pollution, 3) assist in mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate disruption, 4) are represented in land use planning software to increase community engagement, and 5) can bring about a just and equitable world.
The tasks involved in our work include multidisciplinary collaboration, literature and data synthesis, conceptual model building, algorithm and software development, and software dissemination. Issues that we model include river basin restoration, nature-based stormwater management, urban heat island mitigation, river thermal cooling, and building energy conservation.
Recent & illustrative publications are below:
- Sinha, P., Coville, R. C., Hirabayashi, S., Lim, B., Endreny, T. A., & Nowak, D. J. (2022). "Variation in Estimates of Heat-Related Mortality Reduction due to Tree Cover in U.S. Cities". Journal of Environmental Management, 301, 113751. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2021.113751
- Sinha, P., Coville, R. C., Hirabayashi, S., Lim, B., Endreny, T. A., & Nowak, D. J. (2021). "Modeling Lives Saved from Extreme Heat by Urban Tree Cover." Ecological Modelling, 449, 109553. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2021.109553
- Endreny, T.A. (2020). Editorial "Leverage Points Used in a Systems Approach of River and River Basin Restoration." Special Issue: A Systems Approach of River and River Basin Restoration. Water 12(9), 2606; https://doi.org/10.3390/w12092606
- Endreny, T., C. Avignone-Rossa, and R.A. Nastro (2020). "Generating Electricity with Urban Green Infrastructure Microbial Fuel Cells." Journal of Cleaner Production, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.121337
- Endreny, T., F. Sica and D. Nowak (2020). "Tree Cover Is Unevenly Distributed Across Cities Globally, With Lowest Levels Near Highway Pollution Sources." Frontiers in Sustainable Cities 2(16). doi:10.3389/frsc.2020.00016
- Nowak, D. J., R. Coville, T. A. Endreny, R. Abdi and J. T. Van Stan II (2020). "Valuing Urban Tree Impacts on Precipitation Partitioning." Precipitation Partitioning by Vegetation - A Global Synthesis. V. S. I. J.T. Swam, Switzerland, Springer Nature: 253-267.
- Coville, R., T. A. Endreny and D. J. Nowak (2020). "Modeling the Impact of Urban Trees on Hydrology." Forest-Water Interactions. D. F. Levia, et al., Springer International Publishing: 459-487.
- Kruegler, J., J. Gomez-Velez, L. K. Lautz and T. A. Endreny (2020). "Dynamic Evapotranspiration Alters Hyporheic Flow and Residence Times in the Intrameander Zone." Water 12(2). doi:10.3390/w12020424
- Endreny, T. A. (2018). Academic Journalism: "We Calculated how Much Money Trees Save for your City", published Arbor Day in The Conversation. [Picked up by news outlets around the globe; non-refereed]
- Endreny, T. A. (2018). "Strategically Growing the Urban Forest will Improve Our World." Nature Communications 9(1): 1160, doi:10.1038/s41467-018-03622-0. Part of Forests of the Anthropocene Collection.
- Endreny, T.A., R. Santagata*, A. Perna, C. De Stefano, R.F. Rallo, and S. Ulgiati, (2017). "Implementing and Managing Urban Forests: a Much Needed Conservation Strategy to Increase Ecosystem Services and Urban Wellbeing." Ecological Modeling, Vol. 360, 328-335, doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2017.07.016. Recipient of Elsevier Atlas Award | Atlas Board | Interview
Stories about our research are at: USDA FS LA River Restoration | Current Cast Technology Out on a Limb for Clean Water & Trees as Stormwater Managers | Megacity trees Christian Science Monitor, City Lab, US News & World Report, CBS News, Reuters, HealthDay, WebMD, Science Daily, Physics.org, Anthropocene, Yale Environment 360, Financial Tribune, TreeHugger, Nursery Management, Daily Commercial News, News Hawk, Laboratory Equipment Magazine, Daily Pioneer, Malay Mail Online, Economic Times of India, MongaBay | NPR Academic Minute NPR Making Rivers Swimmable, Fishable, Drinkable | Environmental Monitor In-Channel Restoration Structures | Scientia Eradicating Water Pollution Across the Globe | Vertical Forest Jobs for Tomorrow Wall Street Journal
Editorial: Editorial Board for Nature Partner Journal npj Urban Sustainability and Hydrological Processes Wiley | Advisory Board for International Journal of River Basin Management Taylor and Francis| Associate Editor for Water MDPI | Guest Editor duties with Hydrological Processes and Water
Committees: National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges Scholars Program (GCSP) New Programs Committee and ESF NAE GCSP Director | Member NYS Upstate Flood Mitigation Task Force | Technical Advisory Council for Healthy Watersheds and Resilient Baylands at San Francisco Estuary Institute | ESF Representative for Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc.| ERE Assessment Coordinator
Fulbright Scholar and Distinguished Chair at University of Parthenope in Naples, Italy & Visiting Fulbright Scholar in Portugal and Greece 2016 | SUNY ESF Chair of ERE Department, ERE Undergraduate Curriculum Coordinator, ERE Graduate Curriculum Coordinator, 2003-2018 | Founding Faculty Advisor for ESF Clubs Engineers Without Borders and Engineers for a Sustainable Society, Past Advisor for Environmental Resources Engineering Club and Habitat for Humanity Club, IEEE Global Humanitarian Engineering Award Finalist, Blogger at EREngineering | Interim Management Committee with UNESCO's Hydrology for Environment, Life & Policy, 2000-2005 | Fulbright Scholar, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2006 | Peace Corps Volunteer, Trujillo Honduras, 1990 - 1992
Developer of Fluvial Geomorphology Training Modules for University Corporation for Atmospheric Research | NOAA Daily Weather Observer 2000 to 2016 for Cooperative SUNY ESF Station 308386, which established SUNY ESF Weather | GI Calculator
Teaching & Advising
Office hours can be arranged by email during this period, te at esf.edu.
River Form and Process (ERE 412, ERE612), Fall semester. Two hours of lecture and three hours of lab per week. Theories of river classification are presented and tested using field gathered data. Classified river form and suggested evolution sequences are used to discuss governing fluvial processes. Computational river hydraulics is used to estimate sediment transport, and a design sequence is employed to consider issues of channel stability and restoration.
i-Tree Tools and Applications (ESF 496), Fall semester. Three hours of lecture per week. Use i-Tree tools to complete an urban forest inventory, an assessment of associated ecosystem services, and designs for improved sustainability. Ecosystem services relate to air quality (PM2.5, O3, CO, NO2, SO2), CO2 sequestration, urban heat island mitigation, stormwater avoided, and building energy use. Forest data are obtained from field visits and remotely sensed or archived products.
Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulics (ERE 340, ERE 540), Spring semester. Three hours of lecture and lab per week. Covers watershed hydrology and analysis of rainfall, evapotranspiration, infiltration, and runoff processes as well as hydraulic processes involved with pipe networks, open-channels with flow controls, and groundwater systems.
Hydrology and Biogeochemistry Seminar (ESF 497, ERE 797), Spring semester. Sponsored by Council on Hydrologic Systems Science. Past Talks
Guidance for learning, research, and service: How to Score Best on a Test | Guide to Writing Proposal | Guide to Writing Manuscript Sections | Guide to Emperical Writing | Guide to Perfectly Putrid Posters | Guide to Peer Review | Caution of a Sting on Peer Review | Ethics on Peer Review | Guide to Submitting a Manuscript | Modeling and humility | Strategies for finding research time
Cornell University, BS in Natural Resources, with Ford Foundation Research Experience, Ithaca, NY
North Carolina State University, MS in Soil and Water Engineering, with Environmental Protection Agency Fellowship, Raleigh, NC
Princeton University, PhD in Water Resources Engineering, with National Aeronautics and Space Agency Fellowship, Princeton, NJ
Licensure: Professional Engineer 079912 New York from July 2, 2002; Professional Hydrologist 1559 from 2002
Current Graduate Advisees
- Degree Sought: MPS
- Graduate Advisor(s): Endreny
- Area of Study: Ecological Engineering
- Degree Sought: PHD in Environmental Resources Engineering
- Graduate Advisor(s): Endreny
- Undergraduate Institution: Binghamton University
"People wait all week for Friday, all year for summer, and all life for happiness. Find the good in Monday, the warmth in winter, and laughter in every day." -Unknown
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Endreny and Newman,l
- Area of Study: Ecological Engineering
- Undergraduate Institution: SUNY Center Buffalo (Civil Engineering)
- Previous Graduate Study: SUNY Center Buffalo (Civil Engineering )
Graduate Research Topic
Treatment of High Strength Organic Wastewater using Green Walls
“Surround yourself with people who take their work seriously, but not themselves, those who work hard and play hard.” - Colin Powell
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Endreny
- Area of Study: Water & Wetland Resource Studies
Reza Abdi, Ph.D. 2019 - Postdoctoral with Terri Hogue, Colorado School of Mines | James Kruegler, M.S. 2018 - Davey Tree Experts | Ron May, M.P.S. 2019 - Onondaga County Soil and Water Conservation | Brenna Mosher, M.P.S. 2019 - Denver Consulting | Ryan Morrison, M.P.S. 2017 - NYC Parks | Emily Stephan, Ph.D. 2017 - NYC Department of Parks | Ethan Bodnaruk, DNF Ph.D. 2016 - co-Advised with Dr. C Kroll, converted to M.S. Degree | Kaitlin Fellow, M.P.S. 2016 - Water Resources Management | Maria Laura Gonzalez, M.S., 2016 - Water Resources Engineering Advisor in Argentina | Yong (Peter) Seuk Kwon, M.P.S., 2016 - Research on Delaware River Basin ecohydrology | Remo Santagata, DNF Ph.D. 2016 - European scholarship | Mirian Calderon, M.S. 2015 - Ecosystem Restoration in Argentina | Andrea Fortman, M.S. 2015 - Water Resources Engineer Consulting | Harini Kadambi, M.P.S. 2015 - Biogas Production and Energy Systems Engineering | Angela Stires, M.S. 2015 - Ecological and Water Resources Engineering Consulting | Kritika Thapa, M.S. 2015 - Water Resources Engineering Consulting | Brenden Wagner, ABT 2015 - River Restoration in Water and Wetland Resource Studies | Chao Pei, M.P.S., 2014 - Water and Wetland Resources Studies, Boston | Hanh Chu, M.S. 2013 - Environmental Professional, Springfield, MA | Yang Yang, Ph.D. 2013 - Risk Management Solutions inland flood model development | Joe Becker, M.S. 2012 - Guy Carpenter flood risk management | Mike Fay, M.S. 2012 - Water Resources Engineer & Laboratory Flume Consulting | Bangshuai Han, Ph.D. 2012 - Associate Professor Ball State University | Jesse Robinson, M.S. 2012 - Stream Institute, U of Louiville, KY | Tian Zhou, Ph.D. 2012 - Land System Modeling at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory | Dave Eichorn, M.S. 2011 - Meteorologist | Bethany Jeffords, M.P.S. 2011 - Environmental Consultant | Melody Scalfone, M.P.S. 2011 - Attorney at Law, Environmental | Kyle Thomas, ABD 2011 - Principal, Natural Systems Engineering, Syracuse, NY | Shriya Kulkarni, M.P.S. 2010 - CSR Consultant, Godrej and Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd | Jamie Ong Leong, M.P.S. 2009 - GPES and Maxwell School - Hazen Sawyer Engineers | Mark Fabian, M.S., 2009 - Watershed Engineer | Shan Khan, M.P.S. 2009 - Wastwater Consulting in NYC, now Peace Corps Volunteer Peru | Nana Imbeah Amponsah, M.S. 2008 - External Relations and Operations Manager, African Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Ghana | Jill Crispell, M.S. 2008 - Consulting Engineer Anchor QEA in NJ, now Earth Science Teacher in NYS | Yolande Munzimi, M.P.S. 2007 - Democratic Republic of Congo Ministry Official | Virginia Collins Williams, A.B.D. 2007 - Science Teacher | Michael Chimaliza, M.P.S. 2006 - Government Water Department in Malawi | Jessica Black, M.S. 2005 - Construction Engineer, Arcadis | Emera Bridger, A.B.T. 2005 - Anthropologist | Amanda Davis, M.P.S. 2005 - Agency restoration projects in MA | Margaret Soulman, M.S. (w/ Jim Hassett) 2005 - Waterhed NGO Management | Rachel Bonczyk, M.P.S. 2004 - Research and Development, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi | Megan McCone, M.P.S. 2004 - State Department of Environmental Conservation | Todd McDonnell, M.P.S. 2004 - Consulting river scientist/engineer in Corvallis | Tim Riley, M.S. 2004 - Consulting scientist/engineer | Janet Tordisillas, M.P.S. 2004 - Government Water Board in Phillipines | Jun Wang, Ph.D. 2004 - US Burea of Reclamation watershed modeler | Jon Duncan, M.S., M.P.A. 2003 - Assistant Professor Penn State | Juliaty Sopacua, M.S. 2003 - consulting | Steve Wolosoff, M.P.S. 2003 - Consulting scientist/engineer at CDM | Bryan Bancroft, M.P.S. 2002 - Consulting forester | Darin DeKoskie, M.S. 2002 - Bureau of Engineering, Design & Construction, NYC DEP | Tom Pavlesich, M.P.S. 2002 - Consulting with Forest Industry | Chris Somerlot, M.S. 2002 - Senior Engineer at Brown and Caldwell.