Office of International Education
Critical Fields List
It is possible that even loose associations with the critical fields indicated below (e.g., student studying in physics) will result in additional security clearances and delayed visa processing. Accordingly, visa applicants should be prepared to provide additional documentation regarding their area of study and research when applying for a visa.
- Conventional Munitions;
- Nuclear Technology, Physics, and Engineering;
- Rocket Systems and Unmanned Air Vehicle;
- Navigation, Avionics and Flight Control;
- Chemical, Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering;
- Remote Sensing, Imaging and Reconnaissance;
- Advanced Computer/Microelectronic Technology;
- Materials Technology;
- Information Security;
- Laser and Directed Energy Systems Technology;
- Sensors and Sensor Technology;
- Marine Technology; and
- Robotics Urban Planning.