Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of International Education
Transferring your J-1 SEVIS Record from SUNY-ESF to Another School

An exchange visitor may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which s/he was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same participant category.

SUNY-ESF Change in Education Plans Process

If you wish to transfer to another U.S. academic institution prior to completing your current ESF program of study, you must complete the Change in Educational Plans Form with the Office of Student Affairs (110 Bray Hall). This process will require you to obtain the signatures of various school officials, including the Coordinator of International Education. When you meet with the Coordinator of International Education, please be sure to bring your completed SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Request Form with proof of your acceptance to the new academic institution (e.g., copy of your acceptance letter).

SEVIS Transfers

  • A SEVIS transfer is a transfer of immigration documentation and is not a transfer of academic records.
  • If you wish to study at another U.S. educational institution, you must complete SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Request Process. The transfer of a student’s SEVIS record from one institution to another institution allows that student to keep her/his unique SEVIS ID number and maintain this number for the duration of her/his stay in the U.S.
  • Although you may be applying for admission to multiple institutions, SUNY-ESF can only transfer your SEVIS record to one school.
  • If you decide to cancel your transfer, you must notify the Office of International Education before your transfer release date. Once the transfer release date has occurred, SUNY-ESF will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.
  • Students requesting a SEVIS record transfer from SUNY-ESF to another institution must provide proof of their admission to the transfer institution with this Transfer-Out Request Form (e.g., a copy of the official acceptance letter).
  • Students must apply for a SEVIS transfer within 30 days from the last date of attendance at SUNY-ESF or completed Academic Training. Requests beyond this 30-day period require students to leave and re-enter the U.S. using a DS-2019 issued by the new institution; this would be considered a “new entry”, not a transfer therefore all of the rules and procedures for a new program and new entry apply.
  • Once a student’s SEVIS record is transferred on the release date, SUNY-ESF no longer has access to the SEVIS record. The new institution is responsible for maintaining the SEVIS record and issuing updated documents.
  • A transferred student is no longer eligible for on-campus employment at SUNY-ESF or SU after the SEVIS record release date.
  • All travel and employment benefits authorized through SUNY-ESF will end on your transfer release date.
  • If you are traveling outside the U.S. after the release of your SEVIS record and prior to beginning the program at your new school, please be advised that you must re-enter the US with the new school’s DS-2019.
  • You must report to the new institution within 15 days of the start of the new SEVIS document.

ESF SEVIS Transfer-Out Process

  • If you have not yet completed your current ESF program of study, complete the Change in Educational Plans Form and submit to 110 Bray Hall.
    If you have completed your ESF program of study and are either on Academic training or your 30 day grace period, you are not required to submit a Change in Educational Plans Form; you can skip to step two below.
  • Submit the appropriate (J-1 Student) completed SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Request Form and attach proof of your acceptance to the new academic institution to the Coordinator of International Education (302 Bray Hall).
  • If applicable, the Office of International Education will complete the SEVIS Transfer-In Form for your new institution.
  • The Office of International Education will release your SEVIS record to the new academic institution on the release date indicated on your SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Request Form
  • The "transfer-in" school must update and validate your SEVIS record and print your new DS-2019.