Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Office of International Education

In order to maintain F-1 or J-1 status, you must have a valid and accurate passport at all times during your stay in the United States. It is your responsibility to review the information on your passport to ensure accuracy, monitor your expiration date, and apply for a renewal in a timely manner. Students and exchange visitors should consult with their embassy to find out how to correct, update, or renew their passport. Many countries will allow you to renew your passport while in the United States. The other alternative is to renew your passport when you return home for a visit.

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter the U.S.; some ports of entry may require passport validity 6 months beyond your program end date.

Please note that some countries have an agreement with the United States that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration.

If your expired passport has a valid visa, you can still use it if you kept the old passport. Present the old passport, along with the new passport when you reenter the country.Passport